Working hard in high school does not always prepare you for the pace, volume and complexity of a Pitzer College education. Academic coaching is one way to personalize your education and help you stay on track academically.
An academic coach focuses on helping you with learning strategies and life management skills which, in turn, empowers you to successfully manage academic demands.
Academic coaching is a working partnership between you and a professional academic coach focusing on the process of learning. You will be able to examine your learning styles, strengths, habits with school work and time management while addressing current difficulties or barriers to success. Academic coaching is open to all Pitzer students.
If you are interested please e-mail Connie_Helland@pitzer.edu
This calendar is a helpful tool to get you on track with your schedule and keep you aware of important upcoming dates. Please be sure save it first so you can fill it out on your personal computer or you can print it!
The tutoring program is sponsored by the Office of Student Affairs in collaboration with Field Group Faculty and is available to all registered Pitzer students throughout the academic year.
Group tutoring is available on a regular drop-in basis in the following historically challenging fields of:
- Psychological Statistics.
Group tutoring in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, is provided during the scheduled drop-in sessions at the Keck Science Department.
Writing assistance is available at the The Writing Center.
Foreign language assistance is available at the Fletcher Jones Language and Culture Laboratory.
Become a Peer Tutor
Working as a peer tutor is a great experience: you gain confidence, improve your communication skills, deepen your understanding of the subject you tutor while assisting other students in the process.
If you are interested in becoming a tutor in the areas of Mathematics, Economics or Psychological Statistics you must meet the following requirements:
- Completed at least two semesters at the Claremont Colleges.
- Be in good academic standing (not on academic probation).
- Submit a referral from a faculty member of the Claremont Colleges from the field of study the student is applying for.
- Possess strong interpersonal, organizational, and communications skills.
- Serve as a responsible member of The Claremont College community.
If you are interested please review the requirements for the position and e-mail Rudolph_Ganaden@pitzer.edu
General Online Study Resources
- shmoop.com – All kinds of excellent resources from test preps, learning guides and study tools. You can even look at resources used by teachers themselves.
- enotes.com – Everything from homework help to study Tools. Study tools include things like Literature guides, quizzes and etexts.
- studyguidezone.com – A very informative website for tests and exams. You can find all manner of prep and example tests and practice questions.
- hippocampus.org – Free help with your algebra, biology, environmental science, American government, US history, physics and religion homework.
- cliffsnotes.com – The helpful site is written by real teachers and includes study guides, book summaries, test preparation and homework help. They also offer Grade Saver offers free study guides and essay editing from a collaboration of authors which it says are Harvard students.
- sparknotes.com – A nice modern site with the latest most popular study guides available.
General Online Study Tools & Material
- Literary Encyclopedia – The Literary Encyclopedia on literature, history and culture.
- spanishdict.com – Great tools for anyone studying in Spanish. They have a Spanish to English dictionary, flash cards as well as helpful videos and more.
- Dictionary and Thesaurus – This is also a useful Dictionary and Thesaurus.
- Books Online – Providing great literature for free including quotes, poems, novels, classics. Literally hundreds of great books online.
- Gutenberg.org Wiki – Free ebooks project. Great resource for literature.
- Purdue Owl
Mathematics Online Study Resources
English and Writing Resources
Need help writing a paper?