WEEKLY NEWSLETTER | APRIL 18TH- APRIL 22ND, 2022
UPCOMING CEC EVENTS AND DEADLINES
+April 18th | Storyteller’s Poetry, Arts & Film Festival Vendor Sign up Deadline EXTENDED | Sign Up Here!
+ April 19th|4pm|Community Science Dialogues with LRT/CEC/BIO168L |Zoom: here!
+April 22nd and 23rd | Storytellers Film and Art Festival
+ May 3rd| 4pm |Community Science Dialogues with LRT/CEC/BIO168L |Zoom: here!
STORYTELLER’S POETRY, ARTS & FILM FESTIVAL
Join us April 22nd and April 23rd for two amazing all day events featuring our Artist-Activist in Residence, Judah. Registration for the Storyteller’s Poetry, Art & Film Festival is now open! For more information about this event, please visit our webpage! Or if you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
This event is brought to you by LionLike MindState, the CEC, Writing Center, Intercollegiate Chicana/o Latina/o Students, Campus Life Committee, Latine Student Union, Media Studies, Digitizing Testimonios, Media Arts for Social Justice, and Black People in the Inland Empire.
WEEKLY COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT TIP
Communicating with your Partner
As we begin our descent into the final weeks of the school year, it is important to keep in mind our commitments to our community partners. Communicating with your partner when changes arise, and preparing them for the end of the semester is vital to keeping a good relationship with the communities we work with. With that being said, being aware of what your capacity is at this time of the school year is important. Be kind to yourself, things can feel overwhelming, and might not work out how you anticipate. Communicating your capacity levels with your partner so that redistribution of the work assigned to you can begin. Our partners know we are full-time students with a lot on our plates and are understanding of this. If you need help communicating this to your partners, don’t hesitate to let us know!
Ontario for Agriculture (OFA)
Please help the residents of Ontario save agricultural land from being re-zoned and filled with warehouses. We have until April 30th to collect over 10,000 signatures. You can help by volunteering to canvass and by helping to spread the word.
+Sign-Up to volunteer here: Ontario for Agriculture Volunteer Sign-Up
+For more information: https://ontario4agriculture.com/
Check us out on social media.
Facebook: @OntarioForAgriculture | Instagram: @ontforagriculture
7698 Eucalyptus Ave, Ontario, CA 91762
Sign the petition or pick up a petition to collect signatures: Tuesday-Saturday 9am-5pm
200 S Euclid Ave, Ste B, Ontario, CA 91762
Sign the petition or pick up a petition to collect signatures:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8am-11am
- Ontario For Agriculture “OFA” (unlimited) | IN PERSON |
- Sign-Up to volunteer here: Ontario for Agriculture Volunteer Sign-Up
- For more information: https://ontario4agriculture.com/
- Facebook: @OntarioForAgriculture
- Instagram: @ontforagriculture
- Pick-Up Locations:
- Amy’s Farm: 7698 Eucalyptus Ave, Ontario, CA 91762. Pick up a petition to collect signatures: Tuesday-Saturday 9am-5pm
- CASA Pitzer: 200 S Euclid Ave, Ste B, Ontario, CA 91762. Pick up a petition to collect signatures: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8am-11am
- Claremont After School Programs (CLASP) | Tutors | IN PERSON | Clasp Intern (1/PAID) | VIRTUAL | searching for in-person tutors for Mondays (3:15-4:30pm) and Wednesdays (1:30-2:45pm), and an intern to host a tutor site and place students/tutors in breakout rooms, and monitor the rooms for technical and homework assistance ( Tuesday/Thursdays 2:30-4:30pm beginning Jan 10th).
- David Judah ( Artist-Activist in Residence) | VIRTUAL | Poetry Anthology Support (1-2) | In need of students to help edit and organize a poetry anthology for the City of Pomona
- Latino/a Roundtable (LRT) | HYBRID | Media Internship (1-2) | LRT is searching for media interns to assist with photography, social media, and possible film support.
- Pomona Economic Opportunity Center (PEOC) | VIRTUAL | Media Internship (1-2)| In need of media intern(s) to help with flyers and social media *Spanish required*
- Encuentros | TBD |Student Leadership Position (1-2) | In need of student to lead this year’s group.
- Prototypes | HYBRID | Programming Interns | In need of volunteers to develop and implement class programming around topics such as mindfulness, relaxation and arts.
- Uncommon Good | HYBRID | 5C Volunteer Specialist Intern (1) | In need of a student intern to help support 5C Volunteers.
- Huerta del Valle | Remote Engagement at Educational Center | VIRTUAL | Spanish document translation/live interpretation for Farmer Training Program | TBD | Farming at the Ontario garden | IN PERSON| Huerta is looking for students to assist with data analysis, preparing marketing materials, media materials, grant writing, researching foundations and grants. They are also in need of assistance translating documents for Farmer Training Program and proving live interpretation, as well as many volunteers to assist with in-person farming at the Ontario site.
- National Lawyers Guild | Legal Observer (no max)|TBD| Data Analyst (1-2) | VIRTUAL | Story Collector for Street Vendor Advocacy (2 as needed) | IN PERSON| Media Internship (1-2) | VIRTUAL |NLG is in need of volunteers to document law enforcement activity at collective actions, support data from the Superior Court System, interview street vendors in Santa Monica to document violence and issues with police (bilingual), and volunteers with CANVA experience for making more exciting/presentable guides/information.
- Prison Library Project | IN PERSON | Book Collection Volunteer (10) | In need of volunteers to catalog and inventory books, read letters from prisoners, find and pull the books, and prepare shipments to the prisoners.
- Inland Empire Immigrant Youth Coalition (IEIYC) | TBD | Outreach Volunteer | In need of outreach volunteers for publicizing workshops and events
- Home-y-made Meals | IN PERSON | Meal Prep Volunteers (no max)|In need of groups to prepare, deliver, and serve homemade meals to people experiencing homelessness.
- ConductAbility | Media Internship (1-2) | HYBRID | Program Volunteers (1-2) | IN PERSON ||In need of media intern(s) to help develop documentary working with children with developmental disabilities. Also in need of students who are interested in working with young people who have neuro-motor impairments.
- Child Youth and Family Collaborative (CYFC) | Tutors/Mentors (20) | IN PERSON | In need of tutors/mentors for foster youth as well as a student assistant to assist Dr. Paulse with program evaluation research.
- Pomona Library Foundation Homework Club | Tutors (no max) | IN PERSON | in need of students for in-person K-8 Tutoring.
If you are interested in any of these volunteer opportunities please contact our Hecker Community Fellow, Ari Wood- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tongva Living History Garden | Garden Volunteer | IN PERSON | In need of volunteers to help clean and maintain the garden. Please contact Elena Nourrie for more details at Elena_Nourrie@Pitzer.edu .
CEC FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Community Engagement Transportation Funds (Students)
The CEC has transportation funds allocated for students doing community engagement related travel either for a course or on their own. Students are allotted $100 each semester! Requests are accepted on a rolling basis and are due no later than two
Community Engagement Clearance/Livescan/TB Funds (Students)
The CEC has clearances funds allocated for students doing community engagement related travel either for a course or on their own. Requests are accepted on a rolling basis and are due no later than two weeks
CONNECT WITH US
Follow our Instagram and Facebook (@cecpz) for updates and be sure to check out our website for resources, Pillar events and more!
For questions, comments or concerns please email email@example.com