Upon the recommendation of the SAIP Committee and the approval of the Dean of Faculty and the Treasurer of the College, the Office of Study Abroad and International Programs is pleased to announce three summer study abroad opportunities for students: Costa Rica Summer Health Program, Pitzer in Nepal Summer Program 2021, and Pitzer in Costa Rica Environmental Studies Summer Program 2021. These programs present a special opportunity for students who did not get a chance to study abroad this past year because of the pandemic, but are also open to any students currently enrolled in the 5-Cs. We are optimistic that we will be able to run in each of these countries by the second half of summer without putting our students or host communities at any additional health risk (our highest priority) or compromising the educational integrity of the program.
- Is open to all Claremont 5-C students, including current first-year students.
- Offers two courses of credit (a language course and a core course).
- Is six weeks in duration.
- Runs the second half of summer, from July 1 to August 15 in order to provide maximum time for students to get vaccinated before the program and ample time after the program for students to return to Claremont and get settled in for the fall semester. Consistent with College policy for enrolled students, COVID vaccinations will be required.
- Will have a total cost of $11,000, which will include tuition for two courses worth of credit, all program activities and study trips, full room and board, and round-trip flight.
- Financial Aid will be available for Pitzer students who normally receive financial aid.
There are no prerequisites for any of these programs. Although the two Costa Rica programs focus on health and environmental studies respectively, you do not need to be pre-med or an EA major to successfully participate in either of the Costa Rica programs. The curriculum will give you a broad overview of history, politics, culture and current issues in both Costa Rica and Central America, as well as providing highly effective Spanish instruction at all levels from beginners to heritage speakers.
If you are interested or want additional information, we encourage you to attend an information session. Please check the current schedule here: https://www.pitzer.edu/study-abroad/study-abroad-information-sessions-for-summer-programs-2021/
If you cannot attend an info session, please contact us at [email protected] to set up an individual meeting to learn more about these programs and how they may compliment your educational plan.
Application Due Date is May 10th. To request an application, go to the following link: Study Abroad Application Request – Summer Programs