Information for Faculty

We encourage Pitzer students to work with their faculty advisers early in their academic career to determine how a semester of study abroad will best fit into their overall educational plan. With early planning and advising, students in any major can have the opportunity to study abroad.

Advising and Application Process

For Pitzer students, the advising and application process begins with a Study Abroad Information Session and includes a meeting with a study abroad adviser, their academic adviser, and an interview with a student who has recently participated in the program. A Faculty Adviser Approval Form is part of the Study Abroad Application. Applications for non-approved programs include an Adviser Endorsement.  Some organizations and host institutions require a recommendation as part of their applications. Visit the How to Apply for Pitzer Students page of our website for more information.

  • Application Due Date for Pitzer Students

    There are multiple dates for approved semester study abroad programs and exchanges. Faculty can review all dates on the website: 

    In order for the student’s application to be complete the Adviser Approval, the Adviser Endorsement (for non-approved programs only) and any host institution recommendations must be submitted. Although the Office of Study Abroad and International Programs has a one week grace period for Adviser Endorsements, only complete applications are reviewed. Host institutions may not be flexible with their due dates.

  • Adviser Approval Form

    An Adviser Approval form signed by the student’s academic adviser is part of the Pitzer College Study Abroad Application. Your student should research the available courses and bring the Adviser Approval form to you for discussion and for your signature. Students may download the form from their application or use the link below.  Students are responsible for uploading a completed, signed Adviser Approval form to their study abroad application.

    Pitzer College Study Abroad – Adviser Approval

  • Adviser Endorsement

    For students applying to a non-approved program we ask their academic adviser to explain why they believe the non-approved program best meets an essential educational need for their advisee. This Adviser Endorsement, a type of recommendation, is requested by your advisee through their study abroad application. Your student will enter their confidentiality preference, your name and your email. You will receive an email from [email protected] with ‘Recommendation Request’ and your student’s name as part of the subject line. The email will include log in instructions and the option of creating a user account.  We suggest creating a user account to view all such requests in one location.  Hint: Faculty use the ‘General non-Pitzer login’ to access their account.


  • Academic Recommendations

    One or more recommendations may be required for Pitzer students applying to study abroad. The recommender does not need to be from Pitzer College.

    Program Specific Recommendations and Letters of Reference
    After Pitzer students submit their Pitzer College Study Abroad Applications and are accepted by the Office of Study Abroad and International Programs, some study abroad programs and exchanges require them to submit program specific applications. Applications required by the host institutions may include requests for recommendations and/or letters of reference. Your student should provide the program specific links, forms, instructions and due dates. Host institutions may not be flexible with their due dates. Some students will need both an ISEP Academic reference and a program specific recommendation or letter of reference.

    ISEP Academic Reference
    Students applying to an ISEP exchange program must include an ISEP Academic Reference. Your student will enter their confidentiality preference, your name and your email into the on-line ISEP application to send you a link to the ISEP reference for you to complete. ISEP requires the references be entered on-line.


  • After Acceptance

    Declaring a Major
    The Major Declaration Form (available  at must be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office by mid-term of the first semester of a student’s junior year. Students who will be juniors while studying abroad must declare their major before participation or they will not be allowed to register for the following semester’s courses from abroad. Students studying abroad on a fall or full year program are require to declare by March 1 of the prior semester. Students studying abroad in the spring are require to declare by October 1 of the prior semester.


Thank you for advising students, writing recommendations and letters, and contributing to the success of their study abroad experience. If you have questions about study abroad or particular programs, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Study Abroad and International Programs.