Frequently Asked Questions for Visiting Exchange Students

  • 1. When should I arrive at Pitzer College?

    You should plan on arriving at Pitzer College to participate in the Student Orientation and Homestay Program. Please contact International Place (I-Place) and submit the new student request via the I-Place web address or contact the International Programs Office to reserve your space.

    Your Pitzer student housing is open for check-in prior to the beginning of the semester. Please go to your Residence Hall to check in. Please note all exchange students are expected to live on campus.

    Early Arrival: If you arrive before the official check-in date you will need to make arrangements and pay for your own accommodation.

  • 2. How will I get to Pitzer College from the airport?

    International Place (I-Place) can meet you or you can arrange your own ground transportation. If you plan to attend the International Place Student Orientation and Homestay Program a representative of I-Place will meet you at the airport after receiving your airport arrival information. If you wish to arrange for your own transportation to Claremont, the following information may be helpful to you.

    Other transportation: Taxis, Uber and Lyft are available at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Ontario International Airport (ONT). The fares from LAX to Pitzer range from $75 to $100. The fares from ONT range from $25 to $45.

    Airport Shuttle: The SUPER SHUTTLE (a blue mini-bus) runs from Los Angeles International Airport to Claremont. Call 1-800-258-3826 upon arrival from the telephones near the Baggage Claim area. The Super Shuttle will bring you to Pitzer College for about $75. Once you have your baggage, go to the “Shared Ride Vans” loading zone outside the baggage pick-up area. At the loading zone, talk to the uniformed Customer Service Representative for further assistance.  You can also book ahead of time at

  • 3. How will I register for classes?

    You must attend the International and Exchange Student Academic Orientation scheduled at the beginning of each semester. The meeting will last approximately two hours. If you do not attend this meeting, you will not be able to register for your classes. Please notify the office if you anticipate difficulties in being available to attend this important meeting.

    Telephone:  909.621.8308


  • 5. What will my student housing be like?

    In the August and January sessions, all residence hall rooms are doubles. Whenever possible, you will be assigned a Pitzer student as a roommate. Your room will have a bed, mattress, desk, chair, shelves, closet and drawers. Each residence hall has a laundry room where you can do your own laundry. Each corridor in the residence hall is supervised by an R.A. (Resident Advisor), who can help answer questions you may have.

    Some other items you might consider obtaining for your dormitory room include: fan, extra blanket, alarm clock, small lamp, telephone/mobile phone, wastebasket, detergent, laundry basket/bag, towels, shower caddy, soap, shampoo, toothbrush/toothpaste, TV, DVD player, message board.

  • 6. Do I need to submit a physician’s report?

    You must take the Student Health Service Form, which is enclosed with your acceptance letter, to your physician. Please email or send a copy directly to Student Health Services. It is a good idea to make a copy before you send it and also to bring that copy of the form with you to Pitzer College. Students cannot receive treatment at Student Health Services until the form is on file in its office. Have your doctor complete the following:

    1. Review your medical history.
    2. Complete a physical examination and tuberculin skin test (including a recorded measurement of the result on the form provided).
    3. Verify that the following immunizations are current:
      a) measles, mumps, rubella
      b) tetanus/diphtheria (a booster given within the last 10 years).
  • 7. Where can I receive medical care on campus?

    You are eligible to use Student Health Services for routine health care. Emergency medical care is available at two local hospitals. Please complete the Special Needs/Disabilities form, which was enclosed with your acceptance letter, if applicable to your situation.

  • 8. Do I need proof of insurance?

    Yes. You are automatically signed up for the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) of the Claremont Colleges. For more information about the plan, including waiver options, please go to Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). The cost for SHIP for one semester is approximately $735. Please contact us if you have questions about your insurance.

  • 9. How do I pay my fees?

    You can expect to receive an invoice for any fees due to the College during the first week of your semester. Payment must be completed by the end of the second week of the semester. All payments must be made in U.S. dollars through CashNet which is accessible through your Pitzer student portal.

  • 10. How will I access my money?

    Upon arrival in the U.S., it is good to have at least USD 100 to avoid difficulties in currency exchange. Currency exchange offices are located only at Los Angeles International Airports (LAX) and not at Ontario Airport ONT). Near the campus are several banks where you can deposit checks and establish accounts. Pitzer staff members can assist you with establishing an account at a bank during the first few days of the semester. Two local banks you may want to consider using are:

    Bank of America
    339 Yale Avenue
    Claremont, CA 91711

    California Bank & Trust
    102 Yale Avenue
    Claremont, CA 91711

  • 11. Where can I receive mail?

    Until you move into your permanent accommodation, you may have mail sent to you via:

    Your Name
    c/o International Programs Office
    Pitzer College
    1050 N. Mills Avenue
    Claremont, CA 91711-6101, U.S.A.

  • 12. Can I have a paid job in the U.S.?

    International students without work permits are allowed to work only on campus. At Pitzer, this means you can work in places like McConnell Dining Hall, at the Honnold Library, or as an assistant to a faculty member who has non work-study funds. Most other jobs on campus are work-study funded and are limited to US residents. International students on an F-1 visa may not work off-campus without a work permit granted by the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS).

  • 13. Will I have telephone and computer access?

    Almost all students use mobile phones on campus these days. We recommend getting a pre-paid mobile phone and plan while you are here. In addition, Wifi is available throughout campus. Messages may also be left for you at the International Programs Office at 909.621.8308. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m.

  • 14. What will my computer access be while at Pitzer?

    Excellent and constantly evolving Wifi coverage is available in virtually all areas utilized by students.  In addition, there are several computer labs on campus. Many students choose to bring their own laptops.

  • 15. When and how will I get my textbooks?

    You can obtain your textbooks at the College bookstore or order them online after classes begin. The instructors will provide you with a book list for each class.

  • 16. What facilities are available for me to use?

    You will receive a Pitzer ID card which can be used to access the following facilities:

    You may borrow books and other materials from the 1.7 million volume Honnold-Mudd Library or any of the other libraries at The Claremont Colleges.

    Huntley Bookstore offers students textbooks, school supplies, food items, gifts, cards, souvenirs, and art supplies.

    Computer Lab
    The Pitzer Computer Lab is accessible 24 hours per day during the semester.

    Facilities for Sports
    With swimming pools, sports fields (soccer, football, and baseball fields), weight rooms, dance studios, ball courts, (basketball, volleyball, racquetball, and squash courts), you have many opportunities to pursue your sports interests at the facilities of The Claremont Colleges.

    Dining Services
    Students can enjoy a meal at any of the dining halls of The Claremont Colleges or one of the small restaurants on each campus.

  • 18. What kind of clothes do I need?

    Since the year-round climate is mild and comfortable, clothing in California, and especially at Pitzer, is usually casual — pants, shorts, skirts, shirts and blouses.  While the temperature may drop to near freezing some nights in December and January, it will generally climb to 15 degrees centigrade or higher in the daytime.  The rainy season is in the winter; summer is warm and dry. A light coat or heavy sweater is sufficient.