Frequently Asked Questions for Visiting Students

  • 1. When should I arrive at Pitzer College?

    You should plan on arriving at Pitzer College to participate in the Student Orientation and Homestay Program. Please contact International Place (I-Place) and submit the new student request via the I-Place web address or contact the International Programs Office to reserve your space.

    Your Pitzer student housing is open for check-in prior to the beginning of the semester. Please go to your Residence Hall to check in. Please note all exchange students are expected to live on campus.

    Early Arrival: If you arrive early you will need to make arrangements and pay for your own accommodation.

  • 2. How will I get to Pitzer College from the airport?

    International Place (I-Place) can meet you or you can arrange your own ground transportation. If you plan to attend the International Place Student Orientation and Homestay Program a representative of I-Place will meet you at the airport after receiving your airport arrival information. If you wish to arrange for your own transportation to Claremont, the following information may be helpful to you.

    Taxi: Taxi cabs operate on the metered combination of mileage and time; there is no charge for extra passengers. The fare from LAX to Pitzer is about $100. The fare from Ontario Airport is about $35.

    Airport Shuttle: The SUPER SHUTTLE (a blue mini-bus) runs from Los Angeles International Airport to Claremont. Call 1-800-258-3826 upon arrival from the telephones near the Baggage Claim area. The Super Shuttle will bring you to Pitzer College for about $75. Once you have your baggage, go to the “Shared Ride Vans” loading zone outside the baggage pick-up area. At the loading zone, talk to the uniformed Customer Service Representative for further assistance.  You can also book ahead of time at

  • 3. How will I register for classes?

    You must attend the International Exchange Academic Orientation scheduled at the beginning of each semester. The meeting will last approximately two hours. If you do not attend this meeting, you will not be able to register for your classes. Please notify the office if you anticipate difficulties in being available to attend this important meeting.

    Telephone:  909.621.8308


  • 5. What will my student housing be like?

    In the August and January sessions, all residence hall rooms are doubles. Whenever possible, you will be assigned a Pitzer student as a roommate. Your room will have a bed, mattress, desk, chair, shelves, closet and drawers. Each residence hall has a laundry room where you can do your own laundry. Each corridor in the residence hall is supervised by an R.A. (Resident Advisor), who can help answer questions you may have.

    Some other items you might consider obtaining for your dormitory room include: fan, extra blanket, alarm clock, small lamp, telephone/cell phone, wastebasket, detergent, laundry basket/bag, towels, shower caddy, soap, shampoo, toothbrush/toothpaste, TV, DVD player, message board.

  • 6. Do I need to submit a physician’s report?

    You must take the Student Health Service Form, which is enclosed with your acceptance letter, to your family doctor. Please mail the completed form back to the International Programs Office, Pitzer College, 1050 N. Mills Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711. You may also scan and email the form to us, or send it directly to Student Health Services. It is a good idea to make a copy before you send it and also to bring that copy of the form with you to Pitzer College. Students cannot receive treatment at the Center until the form is on file in the Student Health Service Office. Have your doctor complete the following procedures:

    1. Review your medical history.
    2. Complete a physical examination and tuberculin skin test (including a recorded measurement of the result on the form provided).
    3. Verify that the following immunizations are current:
      a) measles, mumps, rubella
      b) tetanus/diphtheria (a booster given within the last 10 years).
  • 7. Where can I receive medical care on campus?

    You are eligible to use the Student Health Center for routine health care. Emergency medical care is available at two local hospitals. Please complete the Special Needs/Disabilities form, which was enclosed with your acceptance letter, if applicable to your situation.

  • 9. How do I pay my fees?

    You can expect to receive an invoice for any fees due the College during the first week of your program. Payment must be completed by the end of the second week of the program. All payments must be made in U.S. dollars and can take the following forms:

    1. Check in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank and made payable to Pitzer College.
    2. An international money order in U.S. dollars and made payable to Pitzer College.
    3. Travelers’ checks in U.S. dollars.
      Telephone: 909.621.8191
      Fax: 909.607.8862
    4. Bank transfer to the following Pitzer College account. Contact Student Accounts for bank information.
  • 10. How will I get money and where can I do banking?

    Upon arrival in the U.S., it is good to have at least $50 in U.S. money to avoid difficulties in currency exchange. Currency exchange offices are located only at LAX and not at Ontario Airport. Near the campus are several banks where you can deposit checks and establish accounts. You can also wire money ahead of time from home. The bank will hold these funds for three days. Two local banks you may want to consider using are:

    Bank of America
    339 Yale Avenue
    Claremont, CA 91711

    California Bank & Trust
    102 Yale Avenue
    Claremont, CA 91711

  • 11. Where can I receive mail?

    Until you move into your permanent accommodation, you may have mail sent to you via:

    Your Name
    c/o International Programs Office
    Pitzer College
    1050 N. Mills Avenue
    Claremont, CA 91711-6101, U.S.A.

  • 12. Can I have a paid job in the U.S.?

    International students without work permits are allowed to work only on campus. For Pitzer, on-campus means on any of the Claremont Colleges, so you could work at Pitzer, or down in Pomona, or at the central library, as long as it is a non-work-study job. Most other jobs on campus are work-study funded and are limited to U.S. residents. In order to get paid for your work, you will also need to apply for a Social Security number. Contact the International Student Advisor for details. Almost all students use mobile phones on campus these days. We recommend getting a pre-paid mobile phone and plan while you are here.

  • 13. Will I have telephone and computer access?

    Almost all students use mobile phones on campus these days. We recommend getting a pre-paid mobile phone and plan while you are here. In addition, high-speed internet access is available throughout campus, both wired and wireless. Messages may also be left for you at the International Programs Office at 909.621.8308. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m.

  • 14, Do I need to bring a laptop/desktop computer?

    It is not necessary, but many students find it convenient. All residence hall rooms have high-speed internet access. If you would like to connect to the wireless network, you will need to register your computer with Information Technology. You will also have access to PC and Macintosh computers and free email accounts in Pitzer College’s computer labs. The Fletcher-Jones Language Laboratory is equipped with computer workstations, audio and text resources, direct Internet access, and a wealth of language, cultural, and educational resources.

  • 15. When and how will I get my textbooks?

    You can obtain your textbooks at the College bookstore or order them online after classes begin. The instructors will provide you with a book list for each class.

  • 16. What facilities are available for me to use?

    You will receive a Pitzer ID card which can be used to access the following facilities:

    You may borrow books and other materials from the 1.7 million volume Honnold-Mudd Library or any of the other libraries at The Claremont Colleges.

    Huntley Bookstore offers students textbooks, school supplies, food items, gifts, cards, souvenirs, and art supplies.

    Computer Lab
    The Pitzer Computer Lab in Bernard 103/105 is accessible 24 hours per day during the semester.

    Facilities for Sports
    With swimming pools, sports fields (soccer, football, and baseball fields), weight rooms, dance studios, ball courts, (basketball, volleyball, racquetball, and squash courts), you have many opportunities to pursue your sports interests at the facilities of The Claremont Colleges.

    Dining Services
    Students can enjoy a meal at any of the dining halls of The Claremont Colleges or one of the small restaurants on each campus.

  • 18. What kind of clothes do I need?

    In class, students wear casual clothes such as jeans, sweatshirts, T-shirts. The year-round climate is mild and comfortable. While the temperature may drop to near freezing some nights in December and January, it will generally climb to 15 degrees centigrade or higher in the daytime. The rainy season is in the winter; summer is warm and dry. A light jacket is sufficient in winter.