Frequently Asked Questions

1. When should I arrive at Pitzer College?

You should plan on arriving at Pitzer College to participate in the Student Orientation and Homestay Program. Please contact International Place (I-Place) and submit the new student request via the I-Place web address or contact the International Programs Office to reserve your space.

Your Pitzer student housing is open for check-in prior to the beginning of the semester. Please go to your Residence Hall to check in. Please note all exchange students are expected to live on campus.

Early Arrival:If you arrive before the official check-in date you will need to make arrangements and pay for your own accommodation.

2. How will I get to Pitzer College from the airport?

International Place (I-Place) can meet you or you can arrange your own ground transportation. If you plan to attend the International Place Student Orientation and Homestay Program a representative of I-Place will meet you at the airport after receiving your airport arrival information. If you wish to arrange for your own transportation to Claremont, the following information may be helpful to you.

Other transportation: Taxis, Uber and Lyft are available at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Ontario International Airport (ONT). The fares from LAX to Pitzer range from $75 to $100. The fares from ONT range from $25 to $45.

Airport Shuttle: The SUPER SHUTTLE (a blue mini-bus) runs from Los Angeles International Airport to Claremont. Call 1-800-258-3826 upon arrival from the telephones near the Baggage Claim area. The Super Shuttle will bring you to Pitzer College for about $75. Once you have your baggage, go to the “Shared Ride Vans” loading zone outside the baggage pick-up area. At the loading zone, talk to the uniformed Customer Service Representative for further assistance.  You can also book ahead of time at

3. How will I register for classes?

You must attend the International and Exchange Student Academic Orientation scheduled at the beginning of each semester. The meeting will last approximately two hours. If you do not attend this meeting, you will not be able to register for your classes. Please notify the office if you anticipate difficulties in being available to attend this important meeting.

Telephone:  909.621.8308

4. When do classes begin and end?

Refer to the Academic Calendar for the semester beginning and end dates.

5. What will my student housing be like?

In the August and January sessions, all residence hall rooms are doubles. Whenever possible, you will be assigned a Pitzer student as a roommate. Your room will have a bed, mattress, desk, chair, shelves, closet and drawers. Each residence hall has a laundry room where you can do your own laundry. Each corridor in the residence hall is supervised by an R.A. (Resident Advisor), who can help answer questions you may have.

Some other items you might consider obtaining for your dormitory room include: fan, extra blanket, alarm clock, small lamp, telephone/mobile phone, wastebasket, detergent, laundry basket/bag, towels, shower caddy, soap, shampoo, toothbrush/toothpaste, TV.

6. Do I need to submit a physician’s report?

You must take the Student Health Service Form, which is enclosed with your acceptance letter, to your family doctor. Please mail the completed form back to the International Programs Office, Pitzer College, 1050 N. Mills Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711. You may also scan and email the form to us, or send it directly to Student Health Services. It is a good idea to make a copy before you send it and also to bring that copy of the form with you to Pitzer College. Students cannot receive treatment at the Center until the form is on file in the Student Health Service Office. Have your doctor complete the following procedures:

  1. Review your medical history.
  2. Complete a physical examination and tuberculin skin test (including a recorded measurement of the result on the form provided).
  3. Verify that the following immunizations are current:
    a) measles, mumps, rubella
    b) tetanus/diphtheria (a booster given within the last 10 years).

7. Where can I receive medical care on campus?

You are eligible to use the Student Health Center for routine health care. Emergency medical care is available at two local hospitals. Please complete the Special Needs/Disabilities form, which was enclosed with your acceptance letter, if applicable to your situation.

8. Do I need proof of insurance?

Yes. You are automatically signed up for the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) of the Claremont Colleges. For more information about the plan, including waiver options, please go to The cost for SHIP for one semester is $655. The cost for annual coverage is $1,911. Please contact us if you have questions about your insurance.

9. How do I pay my fees?

You can expect to receive an invoice for any fees due to the College during the first week of your semester. Payment must be completed by the end of the second week of the semester. All payments must be made in U.S. dollars through CashNet which is accessible through your Pitzer student portal.

10. How will I get money and where can I do banking?

Upon arrival in the U.S., it is good to have at least USD 100 in U.S. money to avoid difficulties in currency exchange. Currency exchange offices are located only at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and not at Ontario Airport (ONT). Near the campus are several banks where you can deposit checks and establish accounts. You can also wire money ahead of time from home. The bank will hold these funds for three days. Two local banks you may want to consider using are:

Bank of America
339 Yale Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711

California Bank & Trust
102 Yale Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711

11. Where can I receive mail?

Until you move into your permanent accommodation, you may have mail sent to you via:

Your Name
c/o International Programs Office
Pitzer College
1050 N. Mills Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711-6101, U.S.A.

12. Can I have a paid job in the U.S.?

International students without work permits are allowed to work only on campus. At Pitzer, this means you can work in places like McConnell Dining Hall, at the Honnold Library, or as an assistant to a faculty member who has non work-study funds. Most other jobs on campus are work-study funded and are limited to US residents. International students on an F-1 visa may not work off-campus without a work permit granted by the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS)

13. Will I have telephone and computer access?

Almost all students use mobile phones on campus these days. We recommend getting a pre-paid mobile phone and plan while you are here. In addition, high-speed internet access is available throughout campus, both wired and wireless. Messages may also be left for you at the International Programs Office at 909.621.8308. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m.

14. What will my computer access be while at Pitzer?

Excellent and constantly evolving Wifi coverage is available in virtually all areas utilized by students.  In addition, there are several computer labs on campus. Many students choose to bring their own laptop

15. When and how will I get my textbooks?

You can obtain your textbooks at the College bookstore or order them online after classes begin. The instructors will provide you with a book list for each class.

16. What facilities are available for me to use?

You will receive a Pitzer ID card which can be used to access the following facilities:

You may borrow books and other materials from the 1.7 million volume Honnold-Mudd Library or any of the other libraries at The Claremont Colleges.

Huntley Bookstore offers students textbooks, school supplies, food items, gifts, cards, souvenirs, and art supplies.

Computer Lab
The Pitzer Computer Lab is accessible 24 hours per day during the semester.

Facilities for Sports
With swimming pools, sports fields (soccer, football, and baseball fields), weight rooms, dance studios, ball courts, (basketball, volleyball, racquetball, and squash courts), you have many opportunities to pursue your sports interests at the facilities of The Claremont Colleges.

Dining Services
Students can enjoy a meal at any of the dining halls of The Claremont Colleges or one of the small restaurants on each campus.

17. What are the estimated costs for health insurance, books and personal expernes?

$735 per semester health insurance
$500 per semester books
$500 per semester personal expenses

18. What kind of clothes do I need?

Since the year-round climate is mild and comfortable, clothing in California, and especially at Pitzer, is usually casual — pants, shorts, skirts, shirts and blouses.  While the temperature may drop to near freezing some nights in December and January, it will generally climb to 15 degrees centigrade or higher in the daytime.  The rainy season is in the winter; summer is warm and dry. A light coat or heavy sweater is sufficient.

19. Where will I wash my clothes?

There are card and coin operated washing machines and dryers in each residence hall.

20. What if I still have questions?

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call, write, or email us. Telephone: 909.621.8308; Email: [email protected].