2020-2021 APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS IN LIGHT OF COVID-19
We are living in historic times, and we know that you may be feeling concerned about how the current global situation may impact your future college applications. Pitzer remains committed to supporting our prospective students; when the time comes to evaluate applications for our next round of admission, we will be giving heavy consideration to how COVID-19 may have affected you and your application. This includes but is not limited to:
- We will honor any changes in academic/grading policies that your school has made
- We will be lenient in regards to demonstrated interest (i.e. visiting campus, interviewing, etc.)
- We will not penalize you for dips in your extracurricular activities during this time
- We have altered our international testing requirements
- We will continue not to review AP scores with your application
Pitzer Writing Supplement
- The required Pitzer Writing Supplement section of the Common Application has a maximum length of 650 words. You will choose from one of these prompts.
- At Pitzer, five core values distinguish our approach to education: social responsibility, intercultural understanding, interdisciplinary learning, student engagement and environmental sustainability. As agents of change, our students utilize these values to create solutions to our world’s challenges. Please answer only ONE of the following prompts.
- Reflecting on your involvement throughout high school or within the community, how have you engaged with one of Pitzer’s core values?
- Describe what you are looking for from your college experience and why Pitzer would be a good fit for you.
- Pitzer is known for our students’ intellectual and creative activism. If you could work on a cause that is meaningful to you through a project, artistic, academic, or otherwise, what would you do?
- One academic recommendation from a teacher is required. Your recommendation should come from a teacher who has taught you during your junior or senior year in a core academic subject. A recommendation from your college counselor and one additional recommendation will be accepted, but both are optional.
- Recommendations should be submitted electronically through the Common Application website: My Colleges > Pitzer College > Recommendations and FERPA. You’ll find instructions for submitting recommendations online or via an offline form to be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If emailed or mailed, all recommendation letters must be sent to our office directly by the recommender.
- A report from your school counselor is required (Counselor Recommendation is optional).
- The report should be submitted electronically through the Common Application website: My Colleges > Pitzer College > Recommendations and FERPA. You’ll find instructions for submitting the report online or via an offline form to be scanned and emailed to email@example.com.
- The report must be sent to our office directly by your school counselor.
Mid-Year Report/Final Report
- The mid-year report should be submitted as soon as first trimester or first semester senior grades are available.
- Admitted students and students who have already completed high school must submit a Final Report including a final transcript.
High School Transcript
- If still enrolled in high school, applicants must submit all official transcripts available.
- High school graduates need to submit only the final transcript with the graduation date.
- Pitzer requires the demonstration of English proficiency from students whose native language is not English.
- This must be done by:
- Submitting the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) IBT or the IBT Special Home Edition
- Or submitting the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Or submitting the DuoLingo (DET)
- Or submitting and being granted an English Language Test Waiver (Click here to find out more about the process)
- In order to be considered for regular admission, students must submit official scores or be granted a waiver. For students who submit testing, a minimum score of 100 IBT, 7 IELTS, or 125 DET
- However, students who are qualified for admission to Pitzer in all ways except English proficiency are also eligible for admission to Pitzer College through the International Scholars Program. Applicants must:
- Achieve at least a 70 IBT, or 6.5 IELTS, or 100 DET.
- Or have submitted an English Language Test Waiver and been notified that they will be considered for admission through the International Scholars Program.
- Pitzer can only accept the IELTS, the Internet Based Testing version of TOEFL, the Internet Based Testing Special Home Edition of TOEFL, or the DuoLingo (DET). Pitzer does not currently accept alternate tests of English proficiency (paper-based TOEFL, etc.), but they may be included in your English Language Test Waiver to support your request.
- For more information about applying as an international student, please click here.
- Admitted students may be considered for deferral for a year to pursue non-academic goals. Deferrals are considered on a case-by-case basis by the Pitzer admission staff.
- Students may not enroll at another institution during their deferral year, and will not receive credit at Pitzer for any courses taken.
- Admitted students must submit their commitment deposit by May 1 in order to hold a place at Pitzer. Admitted students are also required to submit a Gap Year Request Form explaining their gap year plans and requesting deferred entrance.
- The Pitzer admission staff will only consider deferral requests that are submitted to the Admission Office. Requests will be approved on a first come basis.
- The deadline for submitting deferral requests is May 10. Additional questions or concerns may be directed to the Pitzer admissions staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.