With Pitzer Since: 2018
Field Group: Psychology
Campus Address: Bernard Hall 205
Office Hours: Contact Professor
Predoctoral Internship, Harvard Medical School / McLean Hospital
PhD, Duke University
MS, Peking University
BA, Pepperdine University
- Increasing access to mental health care
- Global mental health, technology and peer-counseling
- Mindfulness and Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Writing children’s books about emotions, mental health and diversity
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (PSYC187)
Ethical Issues in Psychology (PSYC189)
Psychology of Mindfulness (PYSC140)
Internships in Psychology (PYSC186)
Psychological Disorders (PYSC181)
Global Mental Health (PYSC193)
- Chen H, Rodriguez MA, Qian M, Koshimoto T, Lin M, & Berger T. (2020). Predictors of treatment outcomes and adherence in internet-based cognitive behavioral therapy for social anxiety in China. Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapy.
- Rodriguez MA, Eisenlohr-Moul T, Su K, Xiao Z & Rosenthal MZ. (2020). Using Non-Specialist Providers to Improve Treatment Engagement in an Online Mindfulness Intervention in China. Behavior Research and Therapy.
- Lin L, Wang K, Kishimoto T, Rodriguez MA. et al. (2020). An internet-based intervention for individuals with social anxiety and different levels of Taijin Kyofusho in China. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology.
- Yao N, Rodriguez MA, He M, & Qian M. (2019). The influence of visual working memory representations on attention bias to threat in individuals with high trait anxiety. Journal of Experimental Psychology.
- McKlintock A, Rodriguez MA, & Zerubavel N. (2019). Mindfulness retreats: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Mindfulness.
- Xiao Z, Rodriguez MA, Fang C, Rosenthal MZ, Robins C, & Gao J. (2019). The effect of patient education on Chinese adolescent and parental opinions about confidentiality. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research.
- Neacsiu A, Fang C, Rodriguez MA, & Rosenthal MZ. (2018). Suicidal behavior and problems with emotion regulation. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behaviors.
- Rosenthal MZ, & Rodriguez MA. (2017). Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. In BJ Shadock, VA Shadock, & P Ruiz, (Eds.), Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 10th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Xu W, Liu XH, & Rodriguez MA. (2017). Mindfulness, self-acceptance and psychological symptoms in advanced gastrointestinal cancer patients in China. Journal of Psych-oncology.
- Huang S, Zhang Y, Yao N, Rodriguez MA, & Fan F. (2017). Attentional training for social anxiety in college students. Chinese Journal of Clinical Psychology. [In Chinese]
- Rodriguez MA, Fang C, Gao J, Robins C, & Rosenthal MZ. (2016). Perceptions of the limitations of confidentiality among Chinese mental health practitioners, adolescents and their parents. Ethics and Behavior.
- Zhang N, Fan F, Huang S, & Rodriguez MA. (2016). Evaluation of a mindfulness-based group for loneliness reduction among Chinese college students: A pilot study. International Journal of Psychology.
- Rodriguez MA, Xu W, Wang X, & Liu XH. (2015). Self-acceptance mediates the relationship between mindfulness and stress. Psychological Reports.
- Turner B, Dixon-Gordon K, Austin S, Rodriguez MA, Rosenthal MZ, & Chapman A. (2015). Non-suicidal self-injury with and without Borderline Personality Disorder: Differences in self-injury and diagnostic comorbidity. Psychiatry Research.
- Eisenlohr-Moul T, Peters JR, Chamberlain K, & Rodriguez MA. (2015). Weekly fluctuations in nonjudging predict borderline personality disorder symptom expression in women. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment.
- Xu W, Rodriguez MA, Zhang Q, & Liu XH. (2015). The mediating effect of self-acceptance in the relationship between mindfulness and peace of mind. Mindfulness.
- Neacsiu A, Herr N, Fang C, Rodriguez MA, & Rosenthal MZ. (2015). Identity disturbance and problems with emotion regulation are related constructs across diagnoses. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
Selected Conference Presentations and Invited Talks
- Weisman J, Rodriguez MA, & Gilman S. (February 2020). A systematic review of medical professionals’ attitudes and knowledge about medical cannabis: Comparing across six countries. Society for Cross-Cultural Research: Division 52 Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Idiculla T, Allison S, & Rodriguez MA. (March 2019). Cross-cultural mental health. Panel at CAPS Conference, Dallas, TX.
- Rodriguez MA, Nock M, Teachman B, & Rosenthal MZ. (November 2018). The opportunities and limitations of digital interventions for emotional difficulties. Panel presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, Washington, DC.
- Rodriguez MA, & Worden P. (November 2018). DBT Bootcamp: Partial hospital and intensive outpatient programs for adolescents. Workshop presented at the ISITDBT Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
- Rodriguez MA. (May 2018). Measuring treatment engagement in evidence-based therapies for diverse patient populations. Symposium presented at the APS Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA.
- Rodriguez MA, Su K, Xiao Z, & Rosenthal MZ (May 2018). The Use of Task-Sharing to Improve Treatment Engagement in an Online Mindfulness Intervention for Stress and Anxiety Among Chinese College Students. Poster presented at the APS Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA.
- Rodriguez MA, Xiao Z, Li W, McMahon K, and Rosenthal MZ. (November 2017). Understanding issues of engagement in CBT among hard-to-reach populations using culturally informed approaches. Symposium presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Rodriguez MA, Xiao Z, Li W, McMahon K, Rosenthal MZ. (November 2017). Selecting, training and supervising peer-counselors to improve treatment engagement in an online intervention in China. Poster presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- McMahon K, Neacsiu A, Fang C, Rodriguez MA, and Rosenthal MZ. (November 2017). Sitting with Distress: Which skills are adaptive during exposure to negative emotions? Symposium presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Levy J, McClintock A, Rodriguez MA, & Zerubavel N. (November 2017). A systematic review and meta-analysis of mindfulness retreats. Poster presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Li W, Rodriguez MA, & Liu XH. (November 2017). Systematic review of mindfulness-based interventions for perinatal women. Poster presented at ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Chen H, Qian M, Berger T, Rodriguez MA, Lin M, & Kishimoto T. (July 2017). Predictors of treatment efficacy in internet-based cognitive behavioral intervention for social anxiety. Paper presented at the Chinese National Convention for CBT, Beijing, China.
- McMahon K, Rodriguez MA, Li B, & Rosenthal MZ (June 2017). Promoting Mindfulness in Daily Life: A Pilot Study of Smartphone Mindfulness Reminders in a Chinese Population. Poster presented at the Mind and Life Summer Research Institute, Garrison, NY.
Selected Grants, Awards, and Honors
Blais Foundation Grant, Claremont Graduate University (2019-2020)
Sontag Center for Collaborative Creativity Award, The Claremont Colleges (2019)
James B. Duke International Fellowship, Duke University (2016-2017)
Travis Research Institute Grant, John Templeton Foundation (2015-2017)
Harvey Fellowship, Mustard Seed Foundation (2014-2017)
Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship, National Academy of Sciences (2013-2016)
Dean’s Graduate Fellowship, Duke University (2012-2014)
Samuel DuBois Cook Society Award, Duke University
Foreign Student Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Peking University
Helen Pepperdine Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service, Pepperdine University