With Pitzer Since: 2018
Field Group: Psychology
Campus Address: Bernard Hall 205
Office Hours: Tuesdays 9:00 am – 10:30 am. Thursdays 9:00 am – 10:30 am, & by appointment
Predoctoral Internship, Harvard Medical School / McLean Hospital
PhD, Duke University
MS, Peking University
BA, Pepperdine University
- Global mental health, technology and task-shifting
- Innovative approaches to increase access to empirically supported interventions in an economic, feasible and scalable manner
- Optimizing treatment attrition and adherence in mobile/online interventions
- Mindfulness, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Writing children’s books about emotions, mental health and diversity/inclusion
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (PSYC187)
Psychology of Mindfulness (PYSC140)
Internships in Psychology (PYSC186)
Global Health Disparities (PYSC193)
Psychological Disorders (PYSC181)
- Rodriguez, M. A., Eisenlohr-Moul, T., Su, K., Xiao, Z. & Rosenthal, M. Z. (2019). Using Non-Specialist Providers to Improve Treatment Engagement in an Online Mindfulness Intervention in China. Behavior Research and Therapy.
- Xiao, Z., Rodriguez, M. A., Fang, C., Rosenthal, M. Z., Robins, C. & Gao, J. (2019). The effect of patient education on Chinese adolescent and parental opinions about confidentiality. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research.
- Neacsiu A, Fang C, Rodriguez MA, & Rosenthal MZ. (2018). Suicidal behavior and problems with emotion regulation. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behaviors.
- Rosenthal MZ, & Rodriguez MA. (2017). Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. In BJ Shadock, VA Shadock, & P Ruiz, (Eds.), Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 10th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Xu W, Liu XH, & Rodriguez MA. (2017). Mindfulness, self-acceptance and psychological symptoms in advanced gastrointestinal cancer patients in China. Journal of Psych-oncology.
- Huang S, Zhang Y, Yao N, Rodriguez MA, & Fan F. (2017). Attentional training for social anxiety in college students. Chinese Journal of Clinical Psychology. [In Chinese]
- Rodriguez MA, Fang C, Gao J, Robins C, & Rosenthal MZ. (2016). Perceptions of the limitations of confidentiality among Chinese mental health practitioners, adolescents and their parents. Ethics and Behavior.
- Zhang N, Fan F, Huang S, & Rodriguez MA. (2016). Evaluation of a mindfulness-based group for loneliness reduction among Chinese college students: A pilot study. International Journal of Psychology.
- Rodriguez MA, Xu W, Wang X, & Liu XH. (2015). Self-acceptance mediates the relationship between mindfulness and stress. Psychological Reports.
- Turner B, Dixon-Gordon K, Austin S, Rodriguez MA, Rosenthal MZ, & Chapman A. (2015). Non-suicidal self-injury with and without Borderline Personality Disorder: Differences in self-injury and diagnostic comorbidity. Psychiatry Research.
- Eisenlohr-Moul T, Peters JR, Chamberlain K, & Rodriguez MA. (2015). Weekly fluctuations in nonjudging predict borderline personality disorder symptom expression in women. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment.
- Xu W, Rodriguez MA, Zhang Q, & Liu XH. (2015). The mediating effect of self-acceptance in the relationship between mindfulness and peace of mind. Mindfulness.
- Neacsiu A, Herr N, Fang C, Rodriguez MA, & Rosenthal MZ. (2015). Identity disturbance and problems with emotion regulation are related constructs across diagnoses. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
Selected Conference Presentations and Invited Talks
- Rodriguez MA, Nock M, Teachman B., & Rosenthal MZ. (November 2018). The opportunities and limitations of digital interventions for emotional difficulties. Panel presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, Washington, DC.
- Rodriguez MA, & Worden P. (November 2018). DBT Bootcamp: Partial hospital and intensive outpatient programs for adolescents. Workshop presented at the ISITDBT Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
- Rodriguez MA. (May 2018). Measuring treatment engagement in evidence-based therapies for diverse patient populations. Symposium presented at the APS Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA.
- Rodriguez MA, Su K, Xiao Z, & Rosenthal MZ (May 2018). The Use of Task-Sharing to Improve Treatment Engagement in an Online Mindfulness Intervention for Stress and Anxiety Among Chinese College Students. Poster presented at the APS Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA.
- Rodriguez MA, Xiao Z, Li W, McMahon K, and Rosenthal MZ. (November 2017). Understanding issues of engagement in CBT among hard-to-reach populations using culturally informed approaches. Symposium presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Rodriguez MA, Xiao Z, Li W, McMahon K, Rosenthal MZ. (November 2017). Selecting, training and supervising peer-counselors to improve treatment engagement in an online intervention in China. Poster presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- McMahon K, Neacsiu A, Fang C, Rodriguez MA, and Rosenthal MZ. (November 2017). Sitting with Distress: Which skills are adaptive during exposure to negative emotions? Symposium presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Levy J, McClintock A, Rodriguez MA, & Zerubavel N. (November 2017). A systematic review and meta-analysis of mindfulness retreats. Poster presented at the ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Li W, Rodriguez MA, & Liu XH. (November 2017). Systematic review of mindfulness-based interventions for perinatal women. Poster presented at ABCT Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Chen H, Qian M, Berger T, Rodriguez MA, Lin M, & Kishimoto T. (July 2017). Predictors of treatment efficacy in internet-based cognitive behavioral intervention for social anxiety. Paper presented at the Chinese National Convention for CBT, Beijing, China.
- McMahon K, Rodriguez MA, Li B, & Rosenthal MZ (June 2017). Promoting Mindfulness in Daily Life: A Pilot Study of Smartphone Mindfulness Reminders in a Chinese Population. Poster presented at the Mind and Life Summer Research Institute, Garrison, NY.
Selected Grants, Awards, and Honors
James B. Duke International Fellowship, Duke University (2016-2017)
Travis Research Institute Grant, John Templeton Foundation (2015-2017)
Harvey Fellowship, Mustard Seed Foundation (2014-2017)
Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship, National Academy of Sciences (2013-2016)
Dean’s Graduate Fellowship, Duke University (2012-2014)
Samuel DuBois Cook Society Award, Duke University
Foreign Student Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Peking University
Helen Pepperdine Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service, Pepperdine University