With Pitzer Since: 2018
Field Group: Psychology
Campus Address: Bernard Hall 205
Office Hours: Mon.12pm-1pm; Wed. 8am-9am; Fri. 2pm-3pm.
Related Website: Global Mental Health Research Lab
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Boston Child Study Center
Predoctoral Internship, Harvard Medical School / McLean Hospital
PhD, Duke University
MS, Peking University
BA, Pepperdine University
- Global mental health: Increasing access to care
- Optimizing treatment adherence in online interventions
- Mindfulness, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Writing children’s books about emotions, wellbeing and diversity/inclusion
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (PSYC187)
Ethical Issues in Psychology (PSYC189)
Psychology of Mindfulness (PYSC140)
Internships in Psychology (PYSC186)
Psychological Disorders (PYSC181)
Global Mental Health (PYSC193)
- Chen, H., Rodriguez, M. A., Qian, M., Koshimoto, T., Lin, M. & Berger, T. (2020). Predictors of treatment outcomes and adherence in internet-based cognitive behavioral therapy for social anxiety in China. Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 48(3), 291-303.
- Lin, L., Wang, K., Kishimoto, T., Rodriguez, M. A. et al. (2020). An internet-based intervention for individuals with social anxiety and different levels of Taijin Kyofusho in China. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 51(5), 387-402.
- Rodriguez, M. A., Eisenlohr-Moul, T., Su, K., Xiao, Z. & Rosenthal, M. Z. (2020). Using Non-Specialist Providers to Improve Treatment Engagement in an Online Mindfulness Intervention in China. Behavior Research and Therapy, 130, 103644.
- Yao, N., Rodriguez, M. A., He, M., & Qian, M. (2019). The influence of visual working memory representations on attention bias to threat in individuals with high trait anxiety. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 10(4), 1-15.
- McKlintock, A., Rodriguez, M. A., & Zerubavel, N. (2019). Mindfulness retreats: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Mindfulness, 10, 1443-1454.
- Xiao, Z., Rodriguez, M. A., Fang, C., Rosenthal, M. Z., Robins, C. & Gao, J. (2019). The effect of patient education on Chinese adolescent and parental opinions about confidentiality. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 46(2), 340-352.
- Neacsiu, A., Fang, C., Rodriguez, M. A., & Rosenthal, M. Z. (2018). Suicidal behavior and problems with emotion regulation. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behaviors, 48(1), 52-74.
- Xu, W., Liu, X. H., & Rodriguez, M. A. (2017). Mindfulness, self-acceptance and psychological symptoms in advanced gastrointestinal cancer patients in China. Journal of Psych-oncology, 26(12), 2157-2161.
- Huang, S., Zhang, Y., Yao, N., Rodriguez, M. A., & Fan, F. (2017). Attentional training for social anxiety in college students. Chinese Journal of Clinical Psychology, 25(5), 986-990. [In Chinese]
- Rodriguez, M. A., Fang, C., Gao, J., Robins, C., & Rosenthal, M. Z. (2016). Perceptions of the limitations of confidentiality among Chinese mental health practitioners, adolescents and their parents. Ethics and Behavior, 26(4), 344-356.
- Zhang, N., Fan, F., Huang, S., & Rodriguez, M. A. (2016). Mindfulness training for loneliness among Chinese college students: A pilot randomized controlled study. International Journal of Psychology, 53(5), 373-378.
- Rodriguez, M. A., Xu, W., Wang, X., & Liu X. H. (2015). Self-acceptance mediates the relationship between mindfulness and stress. Psychological Reports, 16(2), 513-522.
- Turner, B., Dixon-Gordon, K., Austin, S., Rodriguez, M. A., Rosenthal, M. Z., & Chapman, A. (2015). Non-suicidal self-injury with and without Borderline Personality Disorder: Differences in self-injury and diagnostic comorbidity. Psychiatry Research, 230(1), 28-35.
- Eisenlohr-Moul, T., Peters, J. R., Chamberlain, K., & Rodriguez, M. A. (2015). Weekly fluctuations in nonjudging predict borderline personality disorder symptom expression in women. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 38(1), 149-157.
- Xu, W., Rodriguez, M. A., Zhang, Q., & Liu X. H. (2015). The mediating effect of self-acceptance in the relationship between mindfulness and peace of mind. Mindfulness, 6(4), 797-802.
- Neacsiu, A., Herr, N., Fang, C., Rodriguez, M. A., & Rosenthal, M. Z. (2015). Identity disturbance and problems with emotion regulation are related constructs across diagnoses. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 71(4), 346-361.
Selected Conference Presentations and Invited Talks
- Paolo-Rombaoa, J., Heshmati, S., Rodriguez, M. A., et al. (July 2021). Daily well-being and ABC PLEASE skills during COVID-19. International Positive Psychology Association World Congress.
- Li, Y., Su, K., Liu, H. & Rodriguez, M. A. (November 2020). The effect of peer-counseling training based on DBT: A one-year follow-up study. ISITDBT Annual Conference.
- Li, Y. & Rodriguez, M. A. (November 2020). The effect of peer-counseling training based on DBT: A one-year follow-up study. ISITDBT annual conference.
- Weisman, J., Yu, S., Deng, Y., Liu, X., & Rodriguez, M.A. (October 2020). The Toronto Mindfulness Scale: Psychometric Properties of the Chinese Version. New England Psychological Association, Northeast Conference.
- Weisman, J., Rodriguez, M.A, & Gilman S. (February 2020). A systematic review of medical professionals’ attitudes and knowledge about medical cannabis: Comparing across six countries. Society for Cross-Cultural Research: Division 52 Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Rodriguez, M.A. & Xiao, Z. (March 2019). Global mental health strategies and strengths: Technology, task-shifting and groups. CAPS Conference, Dallas, TX.
- Idiculla, T., Allison, S., & Rodriguez, M.A.(March 2019). Cross-cultural mental health. Panel at CAPS Conference, Dallas, TX.
- Rodriguez, M.A., Yuan, H.., Eisenlohr-Moul, T., & Rosenthal., M.Z. (November 2018). Peer-counseling reduces attrition in an online intervention in China. Technology in Psychiatry Summit, Boston, MA.
- Rodriguez, M.A., Su, K., Xiao, Z., & Rosenthal., M.Z. (May 2018). The Use of Task-Sharing to Improve Treatment Engagement in an Online Mindfulness Intervention for Stress and Anxiety Among Chinese College Students. APS Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA.
- Rodriguez, M.A., Nock, M., & Teachman, B. (November 2018). The opportunities and limitations of digital interventions for emotional difficulties. Panel at ABCT Annual Convention, Washington, DC.
Selected Grants, Awards, and Honors
Blais Foundation Grant, Claremont Graduate University (2019-2020)
Sontag Center for Collaborative Creativity Award, The Claremont Colleges (2019)
James B. Duke International Fellowship, Duke University (2016-2017)
Travis Research Institute Grant, John Templeton Foundation (2015-2017)
Harvey Fellowship, Mustard Seed Foundation (2014-2017)
Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship, National Academy of Sciences (2013-2016)
Dean’s Graduate Fellowship, Duke University (2012-2014)
Samuel DuBois Cook Society Award, Duke University
Foreign Student Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Peking University
Helen Pepperdine Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service, Pepperdine University