For more than 80 years, this Dutch Colonial Revival house has been a private home with a community purpose. Associated with The Claremont Colleges since 1926, the two-story home was purchased by Pitzer in 1972. In 2010, a Pitzer Board of Trustees committee began an intensive structural analysis of the property. The in-depth review revealed significant safety issues, including seismic vulnerabilities and code violations. To address these problems, Pitzer partnered with historic preservation architecture firm Kelly Sutherlin McLeod Architecture, Inc. to rehabilitate the house before the end of the College’s 50th anniversary year. The project design team preserved the home’s historic integrity and remedied structural problems while increasing its accessibility and improving its sustainability. In February 2014, the Pitzer College president’s residence reopened to the community during Family Weekend. In June 2014, the house became the first single family residence in Claremont to earn LEED for Homes certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.