February 11, 2021
Dear Pitzer Community,
On behalf of Facilities and Residence Life, we are excited to share with you some of the updates that have been completed, and are in progress, on Mead Hall! These updates have been ongoing throughout the campus closure and will be in place for when students return to campus. This revitalization project aims to keep the beloved Mead Hall tradition up and going for at least another 10 years.
A few of these updates include:
- All suite and room air conditioning and heater systems have been completely replaced and the air filters upgraded!
- The suite restrooms in student rooms were refinished with new countertops, sinks and faucets, and repainted.
- New suite common area furniture will be purchased this spring in collaboration with Student Voice Committee and Residence Life.
- The stairwells have been renovated with refinished railings, new LED light fixtures, and the stairwells were repainted.
- The entire building has gotten a new exterior paint job.
- As most of you know, Mead is covered in murals that were required to be approved through the Campus Aesthetics Committee and Residence Hall Council (RHC) over the years.
- However, quite a few of the existing murals on Mead were not approved and went up without an application or documentation.
- Therefore, Residence Life partnered with Pitzer’s Student Voice Committee (typically, our Residence Hall Council – RHC), Campus Aesthetics Committee (CAC), and Facilities to review and approve selected murals for removal during this exterior painting process.
- Some fun facts about the Mead Hall revitalization project:
- 600 gallons of exterior paint used
- 62 new mechanical units for air-conditioning and heating installed
- 57 student restrooms refinished
- 280’ of sewer line replaced
- 40 walkway railings refurbished
Our thanks to everyone involved in this project! From the Facilities staff, Treasurer’s Office, and outside contractors to our Mead Residence Director and student voices, we appreciate everyone’s collective effort to make this project possible during the time students were away.
Kirsten Carrier, M.S. (she/her/hers)
Associate Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life and Conference Services
Director of Facilities for Custodial, Grounds & Event Services
Office: (909) 607-3147