May 19, 2021
Dear Returning Pitzer Students for Fall 2021,
Congratulations on all of your hard work in completing the Spring 2021 semester! As promised, this is yet another update from Residence Life and Housing to continue giving information as we move closer to fall semester. Our update today will cover updates on the housing applications we received, the Returning Student Housing Selection timeline, and more move-in information. We welcome your questions and feedback on these updates as we want them to be informed by student input!
Student Housing Selection Updates
The Housing Selection process is facilitated entirely online using our Residence software system. As such, the Housing Selection has three main phases:
- Apply (Completed)
- Roommate Groups and Room Explore (New Dates Announced!)
- Select Rooms (New Dates Announced!)
Detailed notes and screenshots of each phase, and all prior Housing Selection Updates can be found on our Housing Selection website. Students are encouraged to reach out to Housing@pitzer.edu with any questions in regards to the Housing Selection process.
- Off-Campus Housing
- Students still interested in off-campus housing for fall semester are encouraged to apply as we do have some availability left. The Off Campus Housing application can be requested at firstname.lastname@example.org for review on a case-by-case basis.
- Room Accommodations for Disabilities Application (RADA) Housing
- Although it is now past the deadline, this application can still be requested at email@example.com for review on a case-by-case basis.
- Sophomore Year Experience (SYE) Housing
- The incoming first-year class is projected to fill all Skandera Hall double suites at this time. Students in SYE Housing will be in West and East Halls.
- General Housing Selection
- Based on current applications, around 200 single rooms are projected to be available as part of the General Housing Selection process, more details on location and suite types will be available when Final Room selection begins.
- Due to SYE housing interest and new student class size, we do not project any West and East double suites to be available for Juniors or Seniors at this time.
Housing Selection Dates
- We expect to receive more guidance from LACDPH on what campus life will look like for fall semester sometime in June. So, we have now established the Housing Selection timeline below with this in mind.
- Hopefully students will get more of an idea of what campus life will look like in June and be able to make informed decisions on who they’d like to live with, and where they’d like to live, prior to their final housing selection in late June.
|Process||Application Review & Approval||Step 2: Roommate Groups, Individual Selection Times and Room Explore||Step 3: Final Room Selection||Notes|
|Off-Campus Housing||Apr 23||N/A||N/A||According to current projections of remaining returning students and rooms available, every student seeking Campus Housing will have a bed.|
Those still interested in living off campus are still encouraged to apply.
|Room Accommodation due to a Disability (RADA)||May 6||May 28||June 7||Assigned spaces: Applications with highly specific room accommodations will be offered a space on May 24 – May 27.|
All other RADAs will Group and Select on May 28.
|Sophomore Year Experience (SYE)||May 17||June 8||June 29||Halls: Sophomores will be housed in West and East halls.|
June 8 – Make roommate groups of 4. (Or 3 with one bed held for an incoming/transfer/exchange student).
|General Returning Student Housing Selection||May 17||June 8||June 30||Halls: Due to the number of SYE Housing Applications, General Returning Student Housing selection will only be available in Mead and CCA halls.|
June 8 – Make roommate groups fitting suite sizes (or 1 less with one bed held for an incoming/transfer/exchange student).
- Next Steps for you!
- Mark your calendar with the important dates of your process.
- Start talking to potential suitemates considering the new information above!
- Consider Roommate groups according to different suite sizes
- Students approved for Room Accommodations for Disabilities will receive an additional email with next steps soon.
- If you need one additional person to match your roommate group size with a suite, you can request to add a Transfer or Exchange student placeholder to be placed in your group by contacting Residence Life. Residence Life will place that student later is the summer.
- WES – Double and single rooms (in 4 person suites, 2 double rooms or 4 single rooms)
- Any spaces still available after Room Accommodations for Disabilities, FYE and SYE housing processes.
- CCA – combination double and single rooms in apartment-style living
- 2 bed, 1 bath w/kitchen
- 2 bed, 2 bath w/kitchen
- 3 bed, 2 bath w/kitchen
- Mead – combination double and single rooms*
- *some Mead suites will be partially full due to the RADA selection process. Those in the General Housing Selection must have roommate group sizes that match and complete the number of the suite’s open spaces.
- 8 person suites with 2 double rooms and 4 single rooms
- 7 person suites with 2 double rooms and 3 single rooms
- 4 person suites 1 double room 2 single rooms
Move-In Dates and Times Reminders
- Early Arrivals
- Please review our Early Arrival Policies.
- Student Leaders, Student Athletes, and Students who still need to be vaccinated.
- Some student leaders/athletes may be arriving early according to coordination between supervisors/advisors/coaches and Residence Life. Student Leaders should communicate with their supervisor/advisor/coach for more information.
- All Early arrival students (after being approved by their supervisor) must complete an Early Arrival application on Residence for approval.
- Orientation Move-In
- First-Year Orientation Move-In Day – Saturday, August 21, 2021
- Returning Student Orientation Move-In Day – Sunday, August 22, 2021
- Returning students who will be participating in Returning Student Orientation will move-in on Sunday, August 22, 2021 during the times associated with the first letter of their last name. Each student may have up to two (2) persons assist with move-in. Students may arrive with their helpers anytime during their 2-hour move-in slot.
- A-F 8:00am – 10:00am
- G-K 10:00am – 12:00pm (noon)
- L-R 12:00pm (noon) – 2:00pm
- S-Z 2:00pm – 4:00pm
- More Orientation-related information for incoming first-years, rising sophomores and transfers can be found here.
- More information on Family Orientation will be forthcoming.
- Returning Student Move-In (mostly Juniors and Seniors)
- Saturday, August 28, 2021 and Sunday, August 29, 2021
- Returning students will move in on Saturday and Sunday during the times associated with the first letter of their last name. Each student may have up to two (2) persons assist with move-in. Students may arrive with their helpers anytime during their move-in slot.
- Saturday, August 28
- Sunday, August 29
- L-Z : 9am-1pm
- A-K: 1pm-5pm
- First Day of Class
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for All Students for Fall 2021
- Reopening Feedback
- As a reminder, if you have feedback on any of the current reopening plans, please consider completing this survey that was sent to the community.
- Storage Items from March 2020 Campus Closure
- Graduates – Recent (since Spring 2020) and upcoming (Spring 2021) graduates, who still have storage items on campus are encouraged to reach out to Residence Life (at firstname.lastname@example.org) to coordinate a plan for their items.
- Returning Students – Items still on campus will be moved to Fall 2021 room assignments prior to arrival. Students living off-campus in the Fall semester will have the opportunity to pick up their items on-campus upon arrival. More details on this process will be sent this summer.
- Other Fall 2021 Planning
- Much about fall semester remains to be determined including COVID-19 related health and safety measures on-campus (i.e. social distancing, face coverings, guests, gatherings, vaccine guidelines, etc.). We encourage students to stay tuned to their email for updates as we have them.
As always, we look forward to our return to campus and we appreciate everyone’s patience throughout the process. As questions emerge, please reach out!
Kirsten and Josh
Josh Scacco, M.Ed. (He/Him/His)
Associate Director of Residence Life
Kirsten Carrier, M.S. (she/her/hers)
Associate Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life and Conference Services