Continuing acts of racialized violence and the mobilization efforts by the Black Lives Matter movement and its allies to fight for racial justice provide an important backdrop for scholars and students to analyze this unique moment in time. President Melvin Oliver’s Racial Justice Initiative seeks to expand co-curricular transformations of our campus, including rethinking the role of community assistants, orientation programs, affinity group spaces, and centralizing the work of our student unions.
To this end, we are pleased to announce funding in support of co-curriculum programs that align with the RJI mission. Proposals for programs, trainings, and workshops on racial justice—for example, the Black diaspora, criminalization, racial bias, racialized violence, policing, police violence, abolition, and social movements, among others—are encouraged. We are seeking proposals to bring together different affinity groups/student organizations and/or offices to address racial injustice and center/prioritize the experiences of Black students and their success. Additionally, we would like to expand these transformations to reach the broader community in creative ways. Programming might include workshops, community learning groups and conferences. The committee is particularly interested in students taking a lead in developing and implementing these programs. Successful applicants will receive an average award of $500 for fall 2020.
At Pitzer, our core values include interdisciplinary learning and student engagement. Preference will be given to proposals that align with our core values. Please indicate how the program will create dialog among groups and programs, and/or offer opportunities for collaboration across the Pitzer community. Preference will be given to proposals that allow students to put their classroom learning into context, making RJI co-curricular activities a core part of the Pitzer student experience.
To apply for RJI co-curriculum funding, please fill out the funding proposal below and email as a Word or PDF attachment to Public_.firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Friday, October 23, 2020.
- Club/organization name:
- Club/organization leader email:
- Describe your club/organization’s proposal and how it fits into the goals of the Racial Justice Initiative.
- Who is your primary audience/constituency?
- How do you plan to engage or collaborate with others within the Pitzer community?
- What do you hope your program will accomplish upon completion?
- What would ‘collaboration’ and ‘community’ look like for your club/organization?
- Proposed Budget: Please outline the budget for funds you are requesting from RJI and also include any other funding sources and amounts requested from each one.
- Reference name and contact (email)
- If selected, would you be willing for your work to be featured at Pitzer?