The Teaching and Learning Committee (TLC) considers funding requests in support of course and co-curricular events and activities that benefit the Pitzer community, including intercollegiate departments by:
- helping faculty develop/augment their teaching;
- fostering students’ learning; and
- developing opportunities for conversation and reflection among faculty, students, and staff around topics of teaching and learning.
We are especially interested in funding events/activities—organized by faculty, students and staff have not recently received funding that:
- focus on pedagogical issues, rather than more general social and intellectual interactions, and
- represent NEW initiatives, rather than recurring annual events.
The maximum awards are as follows:
- Total funding for events with guest speakers, guest lecturers, and workshop leaders:
- For speakers: $300-$500, to be parsed as the awardee sees fit (e.g., between honoraria, travel assistance, etc.).
- Applicants may request funds greater than the limit under special circumstances; these should be clearly articulated on the funding application.
- Materials for in-class activities (e.g., materials or equipment for reenactments, role-playing, or publications): $300-$500
- Dinner events: $20 per person or $500 per event, whichever is lower
- Lunch events: $15 per person or $400 per event, whichever is lower
- Hors d’oeuvres for events $7 per person or $200 per event, whichever is lower (cannot be combined with dinner or lunch events)
**Please note that TLC no longer funds field trips. Requests for field trip funding must be submitted to your respective faculty administrative assistant through the field trip request form. Field group dinner requests must be submitted to Natalie Rosales.
Original receipts and a completed TLC evaluation/assessment, all to be submitted two weeks following the event/activity, are required for reimbursement.
All events must occur during the academic year in which funding has been granted. Funding does not roll over to the following academic year.
Applicants must complete a Funding Request Form in order to be considered for funding. Incomplete forms will not be considered. Proposals will normally be submitted at least 3 weeks before your event.
Successful applicants (“TLC awardees”) will receive an award letter by e-mail specifying the amount of funding they have been granted and the procedures for paying honoraria and requesting reimbursements.
Any flyers, posters, or e-mail notices publicizing the event must include the following acknowledgment: “This event was supported by the Teaching and Learning Committee.”
TLC awardees must notify TLC of any changes in their event, such as changes in date, speaker, location, and funding sources. Notifications should be sent to email@example.com.
In accordance with Section VIII.C.6 of the Faculty Handbook, the use of student activity funds to purchase alcohol is prohibited. The TLC follows this policy in its funding guidelines.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries or to share suggestions for future TLC programming.