Transgender Student Support Resources

The Guide: Navigating Pitzer as a Trans/Nonbinary Student

Chosen Name and Pronouns

To update pronouns, log into your student portal and click on the Student Tab. Once there, you will be able to update pronouns.

To change records to reflect your chosen name, go over academic policies regarding names.

Next, fill out a Chosen Name Request form and submit it to the registrar.

The Registrar’s Office will communicate your request to the Information Technology Office and other administrative offices. Your chosen name will appear on the MyCampus2 portal and on Sakai, including Faculty class lists and Advisee Rosters and will remain in effect until you request otherwise. If selected, your email account and Sakai will be updated to reflect your chosen name. Updates in the various systems typically take up to two weeks to process. Aliases in the standard formats (username@students., [email protected]) will be added to our email system to reflect your chosen name.
The current email aliases will be maintained so there is no interruption in mail to you. Your display name will be updated as well.

Note that chosen names are limited to alphabetical characters, hyphen (-), and space. Pitzer College reserves the right to delete a chosen name if it is used inappropriately, such as misrepresentation or fraud.

If desired, you may obtain a campus ID card with your chosen name. The Registrar’s Office will communicate your request to the Claremont Connection office.

Because your legal name is an obligatory element of your college record and held by many offices, there may be occasions when faculty, staff, or other individuals use your legal name instead of your chosen name. There are also purposes for which only legal names are used, such as academic transcripts and documents related to Student Accounts and Financial Aid. Other examples include surveys, reports, and ad hoc rosters. Every effort will be made to minimize such exceptions.

Diplomas & Transcripts

Pitzer allows for a student’s chosen name to be used for the diploma. To start a name change process for a diploma, please go to the Registrar’s office and inform them that you would like your chosen name on your diploma. At your request, the Registrar will also use your chosen name in the printed program for graduation.

Legal names are used for transcripts. To update the name on your transcript, please provide the Registrar’s Office with a legal valid ID with your chosen name. Any legal and valid ID can be used to update this information.


All housing options at Pitzer College are suite-style. Students participating in Housing Selection are offered the opportunity to choose their suitemates and roommates. There are no restrictions based on gender in terms of students choosing their suitemates or roommates. Students may indicate their gender preferences in their Roommate Matching Profile in their student portal to assist in searching for LGBTQIA-Identified suitemates and roommates. For more information, please email [email protected]

All door decs will be left blank so that students can write in their chosen name on move-in day!

For any questions, issues, or concerns, contact the following people:
  • PTZ Student Portal or class roster:
  • New email username:
  • New Sakai username:
  • Name on your mailbox or you are not getting your mail:
  • Emails and contact information from the Career Development Office:
  • Correspondence after graduation:

The Queer, Trans, Plus Student Alliance strives to create an open and inclusive safe space on Pitzer’s campus for those who identify as Queer, Questioning, and Trans students from the LBGTQIA+ community in our search for liberation. We hope to nurture, unite, and strengthen the bonds among individuals within Pitzer’s queer, questioning, and trans community, past and present, through community building, programming, and campus-wide recognition. 

State & Federal IDs

Important State and Federal ID Documents Links

Nonbinary gender markers on at least some documents can currently be obtained by law in 23 states and the District of Columbia: AR, CA, CO, CT, DC, HI, ID, IL, IN, MD, MA, ME, MN, NM, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OR, PA, RI, VA, VT, WA Nonbinary gender markers can currently by obtained by court order in two states: UT, OH

Pitzer & 7C Resources

Pitzer Student Support Resources Available

Office of Student Affairs

Student Affairs provides student-centered support services and an engaging co-curricular program. This includes Residence Life, Campus Life, Career Services, Academic Support Services (including accommodations), Center for Asian Pacific American Students, and the Gold Student Health and Wellness Center. The office also leads Pitzer Student Health and Wellness Support, and Pitzer’s Sagehen Student Support Center focusing on basic needs, financial opportunities and resources support for students. The Office of Student Affairs also liaises with The Claremont Colleges Student Services including the Queer Resource Center, Office of Black Student Affairs, Chicano Latino Student Affairs, Health Education Outreach, Monsour Counseling, Student Health Services, Campus Safety, Library, Disability Resource Center, EmPOWER Center, Office of the Chaplains, and Department of Athletics to support students. The Dean of Students works in partnership with the Queer Resource Center and other relevant offices to assist with support for legal name and gender marker identity changes. Students experiencing crisis or distress can reach the Student Affairs On-Call team 24/7 by calling Campus Safety at 909-607-2000.

TAPAS | Trans Advocacy, Programming, Acceptance, and Support

TAPAS is the committee who put together this webpage, and our mission is to support the trans and nonbinary community at Pitzer College. Email Us

Pitzer Title IX Coordinator

909.607.2958 | Email
You can contact the Title IX Coordinator to ask questions or get information about support and reporting options relating to any experience of sex discrimination, including sexual harassment or gender-based harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, stalking, or sexual exploitation.  Options may include no-contact orders or other safety measures, accessing resources, making a report or complaint, or any/all of these choices. You can also make a report or share any concerns online, either confidentially or with your name here

7C Student Support Resources

Queer Resource Center

The Queer Resource Center (QRC) is a 7 College resource center serving the LGBTQIA+ (i.e., lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, asexual/agender) communities, as well as allies, at The Claremont Colleges. The mission of the QRC is to empower each LGBTQIA+ person to have a positive college experience, grow as a self-aware individual and be a responsible community member. The QRC provides support, resources, leadership development, and an inclusive and welcoming space for all members of The Claremont Colleges to explore topics related to diverse sexual and gender identities. 

QRC Digital Drop-In Hours:
Every Thursday from 9am-5pm <a href="https://Email to schedule a time.  
QRC Facebook | QRC Instagram

EmPOWER Center

The EmPOWER Center’s Update Regarding COVID-19: 
EmPOWER’s Project Sister counselors are available to support students for the rest of the semester through phone sessions. 7C students can call our counselors’ direct line to schedule an appointment or to learn more: 909-607-0690. ||| Our director, Rima Shah, is a confidential advocate and is available to meet with 7C students, staff, and faculty via phone/Zoom for 1-3 sessions to provide emotional care and support, provide information about resources/options available, and help navigate on- and off-campus resources. To schedule with Rima, please call 909-607-2689 or <a href=”Email ||| Weekly Open Hours (drop-in/no appointment needed) are also available to 7C students with Rima Thursdays from 3-4pm PST, leave Rima a voicemail (909-607-2689) and she’ll call you back within the hour. To learn about our educational outreach efforts, follow us:
Facebook | Instagram

The Claremont Services

Connect with Carrie Park, LMFT at Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services (MCAPS)! Email [email protected]. Note: Monsour can only support students in California.

Note that there is a telehealth option available through the Office of Student Affairs at Pitzer and across The Claremont Colleges providing full-time students access to Campus.Health. It supplements support from Monsour and Student Health Services by providing 24/7 medical and mental telehealth care for all students, at no cost! To get started, visit Campus.Health. Register now and use the service when you need it. Contact your Dean of Students to access the login code for your campus.

Student Health Services

Student Health Services (SHS) at The Claremont Colleges is committed to providing excellent, comprehensive outpatient clinical care to promote and maintain the health and well-being of all our students. We achieve this through a multi-disciplinary team approach comprised of physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, medical assistants and office support staff.

Community Resources

  • Unique Woman’s Coalition: Unique Woman’s Coalition (UWC) is dedicated to being a collective voice centering on the narratives and needs of Black Trans culture. We’re committed to fostering the next generation of black trans leadership from within the community through mentorship, scholarship, and community care engagement work.
  • TransLatin@ Coalition: an organization form by Trans Latin@ leaders who have come together in 2009 to organize and advocate for the needs of Trans Latin@s who are immigrants and reside in the US. Their Center for Violence Prevention and Transgender Wellness provides access to a drop in center, daily food distribution, access to a computer lab, leadership development, economic and workforce development, research, ESL classes, and support to survivors of immigration detention and incarceration with rental assistance, transportation and food vouchers.
  • Transgender Law Center: Information on and for legal name/gender marker changes, COVID-19 resources, immigration, health care, employment, young people, criminal justice, and public accommodations/housing. 
  • Forge Foward: National organization providing direct services to transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender non-binary survivors of sexual assault, as well as providing training and technical assistance to providers nationwide who serve transgender survivors of sexual assault, domestic and dating violence, and stalking.
  • Disability Rights California: Contact through their website or at 1-800-776-5746 (9am – 4pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday) N.B.: DRC is the protection and advocacy/disability legal agency for California. There is a similar group in every US state/territory as well as one for indigenous communities in the Four Corners region. A complete list can be found through the National Disability Rights Network
  • APAIT: APAIT has held a distinctive record of providing high quality programming through its vision – to advocate, educate, and achieve optimal health and well-being for vulnerable communities. APAIT’s mission is to positively impact the quality of life for vulnerable communities experiencing behavioral health challenges, housing insecurity, and at-risk for HIV/AIDS. APAIT is grounded by its core values of compassion, commitment, communication, empowerment, integrity, mentorship, respect, and teamwork.

Crisis Lines & Emergency Support

Note: Some resources specifically provide support in multiple languages through their immediate staff. However, most hotlines will provide support in a wide range of languages through translation services. Students experiencing crisis or distress can also reach the Student Affairs On-Call team 24/7 by calling Campus Safety at 909-607-2000. 

  • Student Affairs On-Call team: Students experiencing crisis or distress can also reach the Student Affairs On-Call team 24/7 by calling Campus Safety at 909-607-2000. 
  • Campus Safety: 909-607-2000
  • EmPOWER Center: As the Violence Prevention and Advocacy Center of The Claremont Colleges, the Center works collaboratively to support 7C-wide educational programs and provide holistic, confidential support to all students impacted in any way by sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating/domestic violence, or stalking.
  • 909-607-2689 or
LGBTQ+ and LGBTQ+-inclusive crisis lines
  • Trans Lifeline: A trans-/nonbinary-specific hotline for those in crisis or those considering suicide. Visit or call Trans Lifeline at 877-565-8860
  • The Trevor Project: An LGBTQIA+ hotline for those in crisis or those considering suicide. Visit or call The Trevor Project at 866-488-7386
  • Suicide Prevention Hotline: Visit or call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255). US-based.
  • Crisis Text Line: A text-based crisis support hotline open to anyone in the United States. Visit or text HOME to 741741
  • or text HOME to 741741

Violence, Abuse, and Assault Support
  • RAINN: [Support & Resources for Sexual Assault Survivors] Support for all people, regardless of identity, impacted by sexual violence, as well as resources around preventing sexual violence. Call 1-800.656.HOPE (4673) or live chat through
  • ChildHelp: [Survivors of Child Abuse] Live chat through or call/text 800-422-4453
  • 1-in-6: [Support and Resources for Men Who Were Sexually Abused or Assaulted] Support for all people, regardless of identity, impacted by sexual violence, as well as resources around preventing sexual violence. Call 1-800.656.HOPE (4673) or live chat through
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline: [Domestic Violence] Call 1-800-799-7233 | 1-800-787-3224 (TTY) and live chat through or text chat by sending LOVEIS to 22522.
  • Love is Respect: [Dating Violence Among Young People; Project of The Hotline] 1-800-799-7233; text chat by sending LOVEIS to 22522 or visit
  • Peace over Violence: [Dual Sexual Assault and Dating/Domestic Violence Crisis Services] Los Angeles Area | Central & East 24/7 LA Rape & Battering Hotline | 626.793.3385 | 310.392.8381 | 213.626.3393 | Services provided in English, Spanish and ASL |
Mental Health and Substance Abuse Support

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Behavioral Health Treatment Services | (United States Only) Visit Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator website at or call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) (English/Spanish).

Disaster Distress Hotline: Visit Disaster Distress Hotline website at, call 1-800-985-5990, or text TalkWithUs to 66746.