General Immigration Information

Issued by the government of your country. It is the responsibility of each non-immigrant to hold a valid passport at all times while in the U.S.

U.S. Visa
Stamped or computer generated in your passport by the U.S. Consulate; the visa enables you to enter the U.S. for the time of its validity.

Immigration Status
This refers to your immigration category, such as F-1, B-1, B-2, etc. This is usually the same as your visa.

I-94 Card
The small white card which you received upon entering the U.S. The I-94 card shows for how long you are authorized to stay in the U.S. and includes your admission number. It’s usually stapled into your passport. This card is extremely important and very difficult to replace. Keep it safe.

I-20 Form
A student receives this document when they are accepted to a school. If the student is in their home country, they will present this form to the American Embassy or Consulate in their home country when they apply for F-1 visa status. The I-20 is what determines how long you may stay in the United States as a student. Before traveling abroad, students must obtain a signature from a DSO (Designated School Official). At Pitzer College, the DSO’s are Todd Sasaki and Jamie Francis.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
Small plastic card issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to show authorization for employment.