Payment of the Pitzer College study abroad comprehensive fee for visiting students usually covers program tuition, standard room and board, round trip airfare (see Airline Policy for details), an International Student Identity Card (ISIC), which provides supplemental travel insurance, the visa fee (if any) and a transcript. Pitzer financial aid is not available for non-Pitzer students. Please contact the Office of Study Abroad and International Programs for the current fee.
Some costs connected with overseas studies are NOT included in the fees paid to Pitzer and should be considered in the student’s budget planning. Expenses that are the student’s responsibility include the following:
- Photos required for applications and visa
- Cost of required immunizations
- Cost of the medical exam required prior to participation
- Comprehensive medical insurance coverage is required. Fees for additional insurance, if required by the host country may be covered by Pitzer College.
- Additional costs for airfare that costs more than the standard round-trip ticket (see Airfare Policy) or arriving before or extending after the program dates, or changing a ticket
- Cost of housing and meals before or after the program or during school breaks (e.g. breaks between terms or semesters, spring break)
- Refundable deposits
- Expenses for items or services that are not typically provided on the program but to which students may be accustomed (e.g. email or internet access, access to computer labs, athletic facilities, etc.)
- Expenses for items or services that are not provided for in fees paid to Pitzer (e.g. personal entertainment, toiletries, independent travel during school breaks, field trips that are not a required part of a course, mobile phone charges, laundry charges, etc.)
- Course fees, lab fees and supplies
- Expenses resulting from a difference in the cost of living. Expenses in your study abroad location may be the same, higher or lower than in the US. The exchange rate should be considered when planning your budget.
All students are REQUIRED to work directly with the travel agent designated by Pitzer College to finalize their tickets by the date indicated in their acceptance letters. Tickets not purchased through the Pitzer designated travel agent will NOT be reimbursed or credited to your student account. Frequent flier miles may NOT be used to book flights.
The maximum airfare Pitzer College will pay is based upon the cost of a round trip ticket from the closest major international airport to the student’s permanent address city in the US to the designated international airport near the program site for the exact dates of the program. For international students, the maximum airfare is based upon the cost of a round trip ticket from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). The travel agent will bill Pitzer for the approved ticket. Students will pay the travel agent directly for the additional costs of an itinerary that is more expensive than the approved flight. No refund or credit is given if the ticket costs less than the maximum.
The following items may increase the cost of a ticket. Students will only be charged for actual overages.
- Finalizing travel arrangements after the due date listed in the student’s acceptance letter
- Travel dates that vary from the dates of the program, including going early or staying after the program ends
- Special requests for routing or stopovers through specific cities or countries
- Open return tickets – these are discouraged and may not be possible due to visa requirements
- Extra luggage charges – airlines may change luggage restrictions without notice.
- Changing the ticket after it is issued. These costs include change fees and any increase in airfare.
If a student is unable to use an airline ticket, it must be cancelled with the airline prior to the departure of the first flight that will not be used otherwise the entire value of the ticket is lost. Students are responsible for this cost.