Main Campus Residence Halls will close on Saturday, December 21, 2019 at noon
Main Campus Residence halls will re-open Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 10:00 am.
NOTE: For future dates, please visit the Four Year Planning Calendar
*As a reminder, the Claremont Collegiate Apartments (CCA) do not close during the Winter Break. Students at CCA do not need to move or checkout, but should respond to the CCA Winter Break survey to let us know if they will be around for the break.
questions about your spring housing placement? About switching
rooms? About closing procedures?
Consider stopping by to see the ResLife Professional Staff in the ResLife Office during finals week to ask questions.
drop-in hours will be:
- Tuesday, Dec. 17: 8am-9:45am and 11:15am-12:00pm
- Wednesday, Dec. 18: 1pm-2pm
- Thursday, Dec. 19: 9am-11am, 1pm-2:30pm
- Friday, Dec. 20: 11am-12pm or 1pm-5pm
If you are RETURNING TO YOUR SAME MAIN CAMPUS ROOM next semester
- The residence halls CLOSE at NOON. There will be a $30 fee, per additional ½ hour if you don’t leave by noon
- Please prepare your room by following the instructions below.
- There is no need to return your key.
- Stop by the Residence Life Office during Spring Move in to check into your room for spring and re-code your card for your room door (PAS & WES residents)
If you are SWITCHING ROOMS between Fall to Spring Semester:
- ALL students moving rooms must CHECKOUT of their current room before Winter Break.
- Students moving into new rooms have three options to facilitate this move:
- Check into your new room before winter break
- If the person living in your new room is going to be leaving for break BEFORE you leave for the break, please let Residence Life know and we will facilitate your check-in to this new room before the break so you can move-in all of your belongings.
- To know who is currently living in your Spring 2020 room, please either visit the room or email us at email@example.com to receive their contact information.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will have you visit the Residence Life Office to issue you a temp key for the new space and facilitate your move-in logistics.
- Mead residents – DO NOT DO ANY KEY HAND OFFS! Keys need to be returned to Residence Life before they are re-issued.
- CCA Residents: You will be checking in and out at the CCA Housing Office, Building B during their regular office hours.
- Move your belongings into ResLife’s “Winter Break Storage”
- If you are leaving campus before your new room becomes available, you’ll have the opportunity to store your belongings in ResLife’s “Winter Break Storage” room. Please email email@example.com to initiate this storage process.
- Take your belongings with you or find alternative storage
- This may mean taking your belongings home, storing them in a friends room or off-campus house, etc.
- NOTE: If you are arriving to campus as an “Early Arrival” for the spring semester, please be sure to discuss your specific plans with the Residence Life Office.
If you are NOT going to be on-campus in the spring semester:
- ALL students leaving their room will need to come to the Residence Life Office during regular hours to checkout of their room. Be sure your room is clean and empty. It will be inspected after closing by Residence Life Staff for damages.
- CCA Residents: You need to checkout at the CCA Housing Office, Building B.
- Mead Residents: Be sure to return your keys to the drop box outside the ResLife Office door.
General Closing Information
PARTIAL QUIET HOURS: Sunday, Dec 8 – Saturday, Dec 14: 7 pm-9 am.
24-hour quiet hours: Saturday, Dec 14 – Sunday, Dec 21
*Violation of the quiet hour policy will result in an official warning, a $50 fine for the second violation and $100 for any additional violation thereafter.
- Pitzer Road will be open during finals week and the bollards (the poles that block the road) will be removed for limited hours during the week. We encourage you to plan accordingly.
Saturday, December 14-Sunday, Dec. 15: 9am-4pm
Monday, December 16- Friday, December 20: 8:00am – 9:00pm
Saturday, December 21: 8:00am – 1:00pm
CLOSING EVENTS & INFORMATION MEETINGS
- Each residential complex will host a closing event where you can celebrate the semester and ask the RA team any questions in regards to closing.
- Please donated your unwanted books and common res hall items to the Re-Room program, collection boxes will be located in GSC and Mead lobbies starting December 16thEmail Milan_stijepovic@pitzer.edu for more information
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
Please follow the guidelines below to avoid incurring any fines:
- Please remember to take all important documents (i.e. Pitzer ID cards, passports, and credits cards) and medications with you before you leave campus, as there is NO ACCESS to the residence halls during the winter break.
- After the residence halls close, the Residence Life staff will be entering all rooms to check for safety and health hazards.
- Any items left in the laundry rooms over break will be collected and donated to various organizations during the break.
- UNPLUG all electrical appliances such as refrigerators, computers, TVs, stereos, and clocks.
- CLEAN your room bathroom, and common areas
- DEFROST and leave your refrigerator door open.
- ALL personal items from your restroom area and place in your room, in bathroom shelves, or under the sink area. The toilet area, sinks, and shower areas should be completely empty.
- ALL perishables from your room. A minimum charge of $10 may be applied to your student account for non-removal of perishable items.
- Bicycles must be removed from bikes racks and placed in your room
- EXCHANGE Your dirty green to-go container for a clean one in the dining hall to avoid creating a health hazard in your room! Any dirty to-go containers will be removed from your room and you will be charged a $10 removal fee.
- Trash rooms will be locked on Thursday, December 19. Dispose of all trash in the dumpsters, which are located on Pitzer Road next to Mead hall, one on the South side of Pitzer Hall, and two located in between North Sanborn and East Hall (next to the amphitheater). Any trash not disposed of in the dumpsters will result in charges of $15 – $50 depending on the amount of trash left in the room/common room/hallways.
- Green compost bins should be cleaned. Those not returning in spring must return the bins. Those returning in spring can keep cleaned bins in their room over break
- CLOSE all blinds, lock all windows and doors.
- Fill out a work order online for any repairs that need to be made over the break period.
- DO NOT leave any residence hall approved pets in your room.
LEAVING YOUR VEHICLE ON CAMPUS
- Register your vehicle with Campus Safety.
- It is recommended you leave it in the East Mesa parking lot in a well-lit area.
- Hide or remove anything valuable and removable electronics.
- Set the alarm if you have one and/or attach any other security devices.
- Close all windows and lock your doors.
LEAVING YOUR BIKE ON CAMPUS
- All bicycles must be stored in residents’ room.
- Make sure to remove your bike from the racks and place them in your room. Bikes left on bike racks are done at your own risk.
- There will be no one on campus to monitor your bike. If you leave your bike on the rack over break, you run the risk of losing tires, seats, handlebars, or your bike may get stolen.
MAIL ROOM HOURS DURING BREAK
The following will be the mail room hours from December 21, 2019 – January 5, 2020
Mail Room hours of operation
- Friday, December 27th: 9am – 1pm
- Monday, December 30th: 9am – 3pm
- Tuesday, December 31st: 9am – 1pm
- Monday, January 6th – normal hours resume (8am – 5pm)
For anyone expecting any type of mail or packages, those will be held at the carrier until the mailroom reopens on Friday, December 27th. Amazon lockers will still be accessible during our winter break closure. Details can be found on the mail center webpage at https://www.pitzer.edu/mail-center/.
RESIDENCE HALL CHARGES AND APPEAL INFORMATION
- Students have the right to file a written appeal to the Office of Student Affairs. However, students choosing to do a Self-Checkout waive their right to appeal. If you are fined for any residence hall charges, the fee will appear on your February statement. Appeals should be received no later than February 16, 2020 at 5:00pm. Please submit your online appeal here: www.pitzer.edu/reslife-appeal