OA trips are typically 2½ – 3 days and 2 nights. These general descriptions are updated each summer to reflect our fall trips, but feel free to browse some of the options you can look forward to as a new Pitzer student!
Backcountry Trips (backpack camping in remote locations)
- Backpacking – Backpacking trips explore Southern California’s gorgeous wilderness. We typically provide novice backpacking trips for those who want to try it out for the first time, and a more moderate trip for those who have been backpacking before. We take our time enjoying the beauty of the mountains and the wildlife, while also getting to know each other. Note: trips may vary based on water access, student interest, and team leader availability.
Front Country Trips (sleeps at campground or camp each night)
- Beach Camping – If you like long walks on the beach and are an avid shell collector, then you are going to love these trips. Beach Camping is for anyone who wants to spend time in the warm California sun, explore the local areas, play in the tide pools, and hike around the California landscape. Get ready to meet new people, cook food together, enjoy music around the campfire, star gaze, and so much more. From doing beach crafts during the day to making gooey-gooey s’mores at night, this laid back beach trip is something you don’t want to miss!
- Beach Camping with Kayaking – If you’re looking for something a little more active, but still want to enjoy lounging at the beach, this trip is for you! Participants will be spending time camping under the stars and kayaking around the Southern California coast. After paddling and swimming along some of the most beautiful beaches and oceans of California, participants will gather around the campfire to share stories and build community.
- Beach Camping with Surfing – If kayaking isn’t your thing but you’d like to be active, check out this trip! Whether you have surf experience or this is your first time at the ocean, you’ll have the opportunity to learn to surf from professional instructors on some of the best waves in Southern California. In addition to surfing there will beach side sports, crafts, and lounging in the summer sun. At night you’ll make s’mores, get to know each other around a campfire, and sleep under the stars.
Local Trips (sleeps on-campus each night)
- LA Local City – These trips venture through the neighborhoods, cultures, and sights of the greater Los Angeles area. Explore museums, eat delicious food from various restaurants, and take the Metro into the heart of the city. Some activities might include: spending time at the famous Santa Monica boardwalk, ambling through the vast Getty museum, taking in the breathtaking view at the top of Griffith Observatory, exploring historical architecture, learning the history of cinema, and so much more!
- LA Local Outdoors – These trips will take participants to some of the outdoor hot spots of Southern California. Traverse local trails, relax on sunny beaches, venture to local hot springs, and wander across scenic vistas from mountaintops. You will have the experience of other outdoor trips without having to camp for the night. Lace up your sneakers and strap on a backpack as you get to know the Pitzer way of navigating sunny Southern California.