Backcountry OA Trips (backpack camping in remote locations)
- Backpacking (Two beginner trips and one moderate intensity trip) – This year’s backpacking trips will likely be exploring SoCal’s gorgeous wilderness. There will be two novice backpacking trips for those who want to try it out for the first time and a more moderate trip, for those who have been backpacking before. We plan to take our time enjoying the beauty of the mountains and the wildlife, while also getting to know each other in the process. The people guiding these trips will create a welcoming atmosphere which respects the identities and needs of all participants involved.
- Catalina Island Kayaking and Backpacking (Four trips) – Participants will be spending two days kayaking (12 miles) and two days hiking (10-12 miles) on and around beautiful Catalina Island. If you participate in this trip, you will get to know this natural wonder better than most Californians. Participants are likely to spot bald eagles, island foxes, and bison while trekking. While on the ocean, the crystal clear water reveals amazing sea life, with seals and dolphins regularly accompanying the kayaks. After physically strenuous, long days of paddling, hiking, and swimming along some of the most beautiful beaches and oceans of California, participants will gather around the campfire ready to share stories and build community. Each night will be spent sleeping under the stars.
Front Country OA Trips (sleeps at campground or camp each night)
- Beach Camping (Four trips: Leo Carillo, San Clemente, Doheny, and Crystal Cove State Beaches) – If you like long walks on the beach and are an avid shell collector, then you are going to love these trips. They are for anyone who wants to spend time in the warm California sun for a few days. We will spend our days exploring the local nature, playing in the tide pools, hiking around the California landscape, hanging out on the beach and getting to meet new people. Get ready to cook food together, play and listen to awesome music around the campfire, star gaze, participate in beach games and more. From tie dying t-shirts during the day to making gooey-gooey s’mores at night this fun packed trip is something you don’t want to miss!
- Camp Pitzer – Enjoy the best of summer camp activities on this trip. Our days will be filled with archery, a high ropes course, day hikes, and enjoying loads of outdoor activities like basketball, volleyball, swimming, and canoeing – to name a few! Our nights will be spent roasting s’mores, sharing stories, watching movies, and sleeping in cozy wooden cabins (with showers!). Camp Pitzer is a perfect opportunity to relax and adventure in the natural beauty of California mountains.
- Pedal the Pacific – Do you want to experience the beautiful central Pacific coast by bicycle? New and seasoned bicyclists can participate in this ride! This trip will take you to scenic spots along an almost entirely flat ride (with a few hills). You’ll ride near California surf towns, vineyards, rolling cliffs, and fields of flowers! On day one, the group will pedal 19 miles on mostly flat and downhill terrain along the Pacific Coast Highway to Hearst San Simeon State Park. On day two, travel 24 miles on moderately difficult hills to reach Morro Bay. This epic bike tour concludes with a ride on side streets through Pismo Beach. A U-Haul van will accompany the trip to carry all the gear. When the group isn’t biking, time will be filled with swimming, cooking, and playing games. You are welcome to bring your own bike and helmet, or we will offer bikes and helmets.
- Rock Climbing – This trip will take new students into the backcountry for some rock climbing and bouldering with a local guiding company. Students will learn about knots, belaying, and climbing technique on their trips, and they will have access to pick the brains of some great local climbers. New students will also have the opportunity to visit a local climbing gym that they may join upon their return to campus, which would be subsidized by the Pitzer Climbing Club. All levels of experience are welcome, and beginners are encouraged to come and try something new.
- Surfing (Three trips) – Ready to hang ten?! Whether you have surfing experience or you have never even been to the ocean, you probably are aware that catching waves is an essential Southern California experience. On this trip you will have the opportunity to learn to surf from professional surf instructors on some of the best waves in Southern California. In addition to surfing there will be endless beach side sports, crafts, beach combing, and soaking up the summer sun. At night we will make s’mores, get to know each other around a campfire, and camp under the stars. If you want to enjoy beautiful California beach life and try your hand at surfing, this OA trip is for you!
Local OA Trips (sleeps on-campus each night)
- Exploring Film in Los Angeles – Los Angeles is iconic for its entertainment from films to television to live theatre. This trip will explore different facets of entertainment like film sets and theaters. You will eat delicious food and see interesting movies. Exploring Film & Television will tour different parts of Hollywood like the Walk of Fame and day hikes with a view.
- Histories of Activism – Pitzer prides itself on attracting students passionate about social justice and this is an opportunity to engage with SoCal-based activism. Activism has inextricably shaped California from being the birthplace of Ethnic Studies to the Los Angeles Uprisings of 1992 to the Movement for Black Lives. This trip will center the stories of activism in Los Angeles and the Inland Empire (where the Claremont Colleges are located). You will learn about sustainability while attending local farmers’ markets, tour historical neighborhoods of Los Angeles, and explore museums.
- LA Arts & Food Culture (Two trips) – This trip ventures through the neighborhoods, culture, and sights of the greater Los Angeles area. It includes explorations of prominent museums as well as tastings of delicious foods offered at various restaurants and coffee shops around the City of Angels. The trip will focus on the food and art culture in LA through visiting neighborhoods known for their delicious cooking, time spent at the famous Santa Monica boardwalk, ambling through the famous Getty museum, taking in the breathtaking view of the county at the top of the Griffith Observatory, exploring historical architecture, learning the history of cinema in the area, and much more! Participants will be traversing the area for four days, traveling into Los Angeles each day to visit a different area of the city. This introduction into LA is guaranteed to leave you with a full stomach of what LA is all about!
- LA Blogging & Media – Do you have a blog, a YouTube channel, or a following on social media? Are you interested in photography, videography, art, fashion, or entertainment? The Blogger & Media trip is for you. Set your sites on some of the most Instagrammed spots in LA and capture the moment with other Pitzer Bloggers. You will visit museums, famous restaurants, and fashion districts. At the end of each day, students will create social media posts, blogs, tweets, videos, photos, and more. The purpose of this trip is to show the beauty of social media.
- SoCal LoCal Outdoors – This trip will take participants to all of the outdoor hot spots of Southern California. We will spend our days exploring local trails, relaxing in the natural beauty of beaches, hot springs and scenic vistas from mountaintops, while getting to know the Pitzer way of navigating Southern California. You will have the experience of other trips without having to camp outdoors. We will spend our nights bonding over bonfires and our mutual love for adventure and the outdoors. This trip offers a variety of outdoor activities, as well as the opportunity to explore some of the favorite local outdoor destinations of adventurous Pitzer students.
- SoCal Theme Parks – Southern California is known for having great theme parks. Each day you will travel to a different them parks around southern California. We will visit: Knott’s Berry Farm, which is the 12th most visited theme park in the country with dozens of rides, shows, roller coasters, and attractions in five themed areas, there is something for everyone; Raging Waters which is California’s largest water park, featuring a huge collection of incredible water rides and attractions; Six Flags Magic Mountain holds the world record for most roller coasters in an amusement park with 19 roller coasters; and Pacific Park located on the world famous Santa Monica Pier, is the West Coast’s only amusement park located on a pier, boasting a dozen rides, games, ocean front specialty food outlets and seaside shopping.