Pitzer College has three residence halls on campus. Pitzer, Atherton and Sandborn (PAS) Hall are home for the first-year student population. Pitzer’s transfer and New Resources students live in West and East Hall and Mead Hall. PAS Hall and West and East Hall rooms are air conditioned, double occupancy rooms with two rooms sharing an adjoining vanity, bathroom, and shower. Mead Hall are suites that include single and double occupancy rooms with bathrooms that are shared with four students, and a common room shared with eight students.
What’s in each room?
- Each double room includes 2 beds, 2 desks, 2 desk chairs, 2 dressers, 2 closets, 2 internet ports, wireless internet, recycling and trash bins. Please note all beds in PAS Hall and West and East Hall, and Mead double rooms are extra long (36 inches x 80 inches). Due to the size of the single rooms in Mead, some single rooms in Mead have standard size mattresses.
- Students should bring their own sheets, towels, blankets, comforters, etc.
- All rooms have wired and wireless internet access.
- Each residence hall is equipped with laundry machines which accept Claremont Cash or quarters. Washing costs $1.00 and drying costs $0.75. Students are expected to clean their own rooms and bathrooms.
- Some limited cleaning supplies are available at the West Hall Service Desk, but we encourage roommates and suitemates to communicate about purchasing cleaning supplies and setting up a cleaning schedule. The College cleans every bathroom on campus during winter break.
- Students cannot keep their bikes in their rooms during the academic year, except during breaks. We encourage all students to bring their bikes into their rooms during breaks to reduce the risk of theft when the campus is emptier than usual.
- Students can have potted plants in their rooms or next to their doors (in PAS and WE Hall) as long as the plants do not obstruct the walkway.
- Students can bring a mini fridge and/or microwave with them.
- Bed lofting information – Due to the limited number of lofting kits available, lofting requests will be granted based on availability by building. Instructions will be sent to students in early August regarding requesting bed lofting equipment.
- The telephone lines in the residence hall rooms are NOT activated unless a student requests it on their Residence Hall Agreement (RHA) during the room application process.
- All residence halls are air conditioned, but some students still choose to bring a fan.
Shipping Items to Campus:
If you’re interested in shipping items to our Pitzer Mail Center prior to your arrival on-campus, please follow these instructions:
- Items shipped for New Students will NOT be accepted prior to one week before move-in. (For example, if move-in is Saturday, August 22nd, the earliest date packages for New Students will be accepted is Saturday, August 15.)
- New Students should ship items to:
- HOLD FOR NEW STUDENT, 1050 N. Mills Ave., Pitzer College, Claremont, CA, 91711
- The Mail Center will be open on Saturday, August 22, 2015 from 8:30 am-12:30 pm for New Students to get their packages.
What to Bring
One of the most exciting parts of college life is moving into your new home. This will be your home away from home, and although we wish you could bring everything with you to your new residence hall, it is essential that you limit yourself to necessities. We recommend that all students communicate with their roommates to make sure that items are not duplicated, such as refrigerators, etc.
Here is a list of things we recommend that you pack with you to make your living space as comfortable as possible.
- Bed sheets, pillow, pillowcase, blanket, bedspread or comforter
- Towels, washcloths, toiletries, shower sandals
- Alarm clock/radio
- Desk lamp
- Eco-friendly laundry supplies
- Eco-friendly cleaning supplies
- Flashlight and batteries
- Surge protector power strip
- Cell Phone
- Electric fan
- Room decorations
- Blue painter’s tape (can be found at most hardware supply stores)
- Thumb tacks
- Refrigerator (under 4.3 cu. ft.)
- Throw rug
- Plate, bowl, cup, and utensils
- Padlock for security drawer
- Bicycle (with U-Lock)
The following items are not allowed in the residence halls:
- Halogen lamps
- Air conditioning units
- Candles, incense or hookahs
- Hot plates, toasters, and other hot cooking devices
- Duct tape and nails