GROVE HOUSE CARETAKER POSITION DESCRIPTION
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:
- Must be a rising junior, or senior.
- Must have been a part of the Grove House Committee for a minimum of a year
- Must have prior leadership experience at Pitzer.
- Examples: held an executive position for a Pitzer club, lead an OA trip, or have been an RA or Mentor.
The goal of the Caretaker position is to facilitate community development within the Grove House. Many people consider the Grove House to be the heart of Pitzer College. When applying for this position you are accepting responsibility as a leader amongst your peers and assisting in the guardianship of the physical space.
Extending from your role as physical guardian, it is important that you work alongside your peers in preserving and protecting its historical integrity, initiating important changes, and maintaining a welcoming community. This includes:
- The Basics: Locking up and opening up the doors every day, making sure that furniture is neatly arranged and personal belongings are claimed or placed in lost & found, and maintaining a comfortable, homey aesthetic. This will involve developing a strong relationship with the maintenance staff, filing work orders, and organizing the house as best as you can. It is also important to be accepting and open to all students in the Pitzer community. Fundraising may also be required if needed.
- Holiday Breaks: If the Caretaker is not present for Fall, Thanksgiving or Spring break, The Grove House will be Shut-down, with no entry from any student unless otherwise permitted. Winter Break and Second Semester end of the year requires that you stay longer to ensure the space can be used by peers for finals and to ensure it is properly secured before you leave.
- The Grove House Committee: The Caretaker’s biggest responsibility is to serve as organizer of the Grove House Committee, and to facilitate its meetings in a way that best serves the community. This will involve working with others in the group to design the most effective meeting formats and strategies, encouraging involvement, delegating subcommittees, planning events, and managing a budget!
- History and Advocacy: People demand a lot of the Grove House and you are its voice. This is so important, and involves learning its stories and keeping them alive, and advocating for the house’s restoration, funding, respect, care, and place in the community in a variety of ways.
- Current Caretaker Note: “This House is full of love, wisdom, and potential to expand upon creativity within the community. Whoever applies/is selected will be cherished by the house itself and will have the utter support of the community to help grow personally and collectively. Best of luck and may all of your love pour into this home and the family within it.”
To apply for this position, click on the OSA Student Leader CommonApp.