Pathway Forward » Community Messages » Booster Requirement & Winter Break Updates
December 17, 2021
The winter break offers many opportunities for rest and rejuvenation, but it also presents significant chances of exposure to individuals and our community. We also recognize that the current COVID-19 situation nationally and globally is in flux as more information becomes available about the impact of the Omicron variant. We continue to be partners in providing accommodations and response to students as their plans may change unexpectedly. We thank you for your partnership during finals week in Pitzer’s response to a recent increase in COVID-19 cases in the consortium (See link to Community Update sent on 12.11.2021 below). The additional COVID-19 prevention measures put into place during fall semester finals week will be evaluated over the winter break. A community email will be sent prior to spring semester to clarify what measures will remain in effect. In advance of this break, we ask our whole community to remain vigilant and make informed decisions about safety as we enter the break and plan to reunite on campus for spring semester.
*Community Update Sent 12.11.2021: https://www.pitzer.edu/pathway-forward/2021/12/11/covid-19-community-update/
Booster Vaccine Requirement
Given the rapid COVID-19 surge we are seeing across the nation and at institutions of higher education, we must remain vigilant and take necessary steps to help proactively protect ourselves, each other, and our greater community. We know all too well how impacted health providers were earlier on in the pandemic as it relates to vaccine access. Our Mindful of Each Other Community Agreement guidelines and our core value of Social Responsibility continue to serve as our compass as we continue to navigate the pandemic. In addition to existing COVID-19 vaccine requirements, with support from Student Health Services, Pitzer students are required to receive their COVID-19 booster and upload their record to Healthy Pitzer: https://www.pitzer.edu/information-technology/healthy-pitzer-vaccine-reporting/.
- The deadline to get boosted and verify COVID-19 booster status is Tuesday, January 11, 2022. Those not eligible for the booster, per CDC guidelines (see link below), by January 11 must get boosted within two weeks of becoming eligible.
- Students unable to receive their booster by this date due to either equitable access limitations or not having met current CDC booster access guidelines, must notify Pitzer Nurse Zephyr at [email protected] by January 11, 2022.
- Student Health Services will be hosting booster clinics for these students beginning the second week of classes. Student Affairs will also continue to provide support to students, including transportation as needed.
*CDC Guidelines: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html
*Pitzer College Health Pitzer Vaccine Reporting: https://www.pitzer.edu/information-technology/healthy-pitzer-vaccine-reporting/
- Students Staying at [email protected] for Winter Break
- Students who have applied to stay at [email protected] for the winter break should have received details last week. All students staying at CCA for the break are required to continue weekly testing and to be responsive to emails or phone calls from Contact Tracers at Student Health Services or the Pitzer Dean On-Call.
- California Department of Public Health December 15, 2021 Statewide Masking Requirements (Link Below): Due to a recent increase in cases, California Department of Public Health is requiring that masks to be worn in all indoor public settings, irrespective of vaccine status, for the next four weeks (December 15, 2021 through January 15, 2022).
- Student Health Services strongly encourages students to enhance masking efforts, including continuing to mask indoors (including when in suites with roommates except for when sleeping or eating) and masking outdoors when around others (except for when consuming food), to help ourselves and each other during this time in the midst of the Covid-19 surge.
*California Department of Public Health December 15, 2021 Statewide Masking Requirements: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/guidance-for-face-coverings.aspx
- Travel Recommendations
- Prior to Travel:
- During Travel:
Spring Semester Arrival
- Pre-arrival COVID test requirement
- All Pitzer students will be required to complete a PCR COVID-19 test no more than 72 hours prior to move-in arrival and produce a negative test upon move-in arrival OR, for off-campus students, email proof of the test to [email protected] (or any testing access support needs) no later than Tuesday, Jan. 18.
- Travel Requirements have changed (See link below). Starting December 6, all air passengers traveling into the US, regardless of vaccination status, must show a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than 1 day before travel to the United States.
*Travel Requirements: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel/index.html
- Residential Check-In
- Increased COVID Testing & Masking Upon Return
|Tues, Jan. 18 & Thurs, Jan. 20||Tues, Jan. 18 & Thurs, Jan. 20||Wed, Jan. 19 & Fri, Jan. 21||Wed, Jan. 19 & Fri, Jan. 21|
|Tues, Jan. 25 & Thurs, Jan. 27||Tues, Jan. 25 & Thurs, Jan. 27||Wed, Jan. 26 & Fri, Jan. 28||Wed, Jan. 26 & Fri, Jan. 28|
- Students Arriving from International Travel to Campus
- Per CDC guidance (see link below), before leaving your international destination and prior to your arrival in the United States:
- All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 1 day before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.
- *CDC Guidance: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html
- Students Experiencing Symptoms
- Upon return to campus for Spring, consistent with current crossover dining guidelines, no in-person 5C events will be held from the beginning of the semester through February 7, pending evaluation of our COVID-19 case trends and student compliance with testing requirements.
- Consistent with Fall 2021, no non-5C community guests will be allowed to attend Pitzer events and programs until further notice.
- Pitzer student clubs and organizations will be able to access their spaces, while honoring masking requirements and space capacity limitations. Student clubs and organizations will continue to partner with Campus Life for event registration and community COVID-19 guidelines support implementation.
- Student partnership with Mindful of Each Other community agreement, testing compliance, cooperation with SHS Contact Tracer and Pitzer Dean on Call guidance, and masking guidelines will be critical for our ability to safely engage in community and care for each other.
As always, resources and support activation for students experiencing COVID-19 symptoms are available on Pathway Forward (link below), 24/7 access to providers via 7CHealth (link below) continues to be available, and our on-call deans are available 24/7 by contacting Campus Safety at 909-607-2000. Your ongoing commitment to Mindful of Each Other in action is appreciated.
*Pathway Forward: https://www.pitzer.edu/pathway-forward/covid-19-symptoms-protocol-support/
Vice President for Student Affairs