Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
Claremont, Calif. (November 15, 2013) – Pitzer College, the nation's top producer of Fulbright students, will host the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's first visit to Southern California November 17 to 19 for its quarterly meeting. Pitzer College, the Fulbright Board and the Los Angeles World Affairs Council will co-host events that spotlight the value of innovative international education and its impact on the national interest.
Monday, November 18
7 – 8:30 p.m.
George C.S. Benson Auditorium, Pitzer College
"Expanding Engagement through the Fulbright Program: Where in the World Can Fulbright Take YOU?"
Co-hosted by Pitzer College and the Fulbright Board
Introduced by Pitzer President Laura Skandera Trombley and Fulbright Board Chairman Tom Healy, a panel of US Fulbright alumni will discuss their Fulbright experiences. Panelists include:
- Nigel Boyle, Director, Institute for Global/Local Action & Study, Pitzer College (Moderator)
- Ben Ball '98, 1998 Fulbright Student to Turkey; Senior Policy Advisor, Department of Homeland Security
- Janice Cho '11, 2011 Fulbright Student to Belgium; Comparative Genomics Researcher and Medical School Student
- Paul Kim '11, 2011 Fulbright Student to Thailand; Navy Veteran; Business Development Consultant
- Mauricio Pantoja '08, 2008 Fulbright Student to Mexico; Graduate Student, Duke University
- Alexis Spencer-Notabartolo '07, 2007 Fulbright Student to Repubic of Georgia; Writer/Performer, Los Angeles
The event is open to the public and will also stream live at http://go.usa.gov/4nvF.
Tuesday, November 19
Noon - 1:30 p.m.
The California Club
"Fulbright & the National Interest: Sharing Who We Are with the World"
Co-hosted by Pitzer College and the Los Angeles World Affairs Council. Featured speakers include:
Terry McCarthy, President, Los Angeles World Affairs Council (Master of Ceremonies)
Laura Skandera Trombley, President, Pitzer College; Member, Fulbright Board
Tom Healy, Chairman, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board
Evan Ryan, Assistant Secretary of State for Educational and Cultural Affairs (Keynote Speaker)
The event is open to the media. For press credentials, please email Anna Chang email@example.com / ph. 626.676.6883
Appointed by the President of the United States, the 12-member J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board was established by Congress to supervise the global Fulbright Program. Pitzer College President Laura Skandera Trombley was appointed by President Barack Obama to the Board earlier this year.
For the fourth consecutive year, Pitzer College has been named the nation's top producer of Fulbright Fellows among all undergraduate institutions. The College has been the leader per 1,000 students for 10 of the last 11 years.