How to Get the Most from Career Days and Job Fairs
Speak with all the company recruiters. Learn about the organizations and about current and future career opportunities. Collect and read their written materials. This information will be valuable for you as you make career decisions and prepare for your job search.
Take your time and be patient
Opportunities like this do not come along often. Make the most of the event and plan to spend the day there. Take plenty of resumes to hand out when necessary.
You will miss out on many opportunities if you pass up a booth because you think you know what they have to offer.
Be assertive! Introduce yourself and ask questions. Ask for a business card. Make arrangements for further contact. Ask if you can leave or send your resume for consideration. Request referrals within the organization to obtain more information.
Be ready to promote your attributes, advantages, and key features that make you different and unique from others.
You don't get a second chance to make a good first impression. Be well groomed and speak clearly.
Mail application materials and resumes requested by recruiters. Send a short thank you note to those who spoke with you. This will leave them with a favorable impression of you.
The purpose of Career Day/Job Fair events is for you to learn about career options. The recruiters are there to answer your questions, so don't hesitate to ask. The following is a list of sample questions.
- What are the range of positions available in your organization?
- What are the responsibilities of the positions?
- What are the education and experience requirements to enter this field?
- What are all of the products or services?
- In what ways have they grown in recent years?
- Where are all the offices, branches, etc.?
- Do you offer any internships?
- How do I gain experience in the field?
- My best skills are __________. What possibilities are there for someone with my abilities in your organization?
- Is it possible for me to do a "day on the job" or "site visit" in the department in which I am interested?
- May I have the names of one or two people working in this type of position whom I could contact to learn more about the job or company?
- What are the next steps in the procedure to apply for a job?