During the 2016-2017 academic year, the Pilgrim Place community will offer two $15,000 Napier Awards for Creative Leadership to graduating seniors at the five Claremont Colleges. The Awards were established as a memorial to Davie and Joy Napier, longtime residents of Pilgrim Place, who in earlier years had remarkable careers as prophetic advocates for a just, peaceful and sustainable world.
The Awards will be given to two graduating seniors who demonstrate outstanding leadership promise in the areas of social justice, peace, and environmental sustainability. Each of the five colleges will nominate up to three students for the Awards. All students nominated by the schools will be named Napier Fellows and will have the opportunity for a one-year mentoring relationship with Pilgrim Place residents having a significant vocational affinity with the nominees. Two award recipients will be chosen from the nominees by a selection panel at Pilgrim Place.
Who is Eligible?
Applicants must be graduating seniors from the five Claremont Colleges who have demonstrated outstanding leadership promise in the quest for a just, peaceful and sustainable world.
Selection Criteria for Applicants
- Applicants must demonstrate successful leadership skills.
- Applicants must present a record of concern for and practical engagement with one or more of the issues of peace, social justice, or environmental sustainability.
- Applicants must show a broad knowledge of the background and current state of the social issue they wish to address.
- Applicants must present a creative proposal for a practical project which must be carried out during their first year after graduation (partial year or full year in the U.S. or abroad).
- We encourage practical, hands-on work for a creative, viable proposal. Plan a meaningful project related to one of the priority areas.
- Applicants must show that they have taken the initiative to establish a collaborative relationship with one or more local individuals and/or organizations where the project would be carried out.
Pitzer Deadline: Friday, November 4, 2016, by 12:00 noon [submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org]