VP of Student Affairs Message to Students

This post has been archived. The information below may be outdated.

March 2, 2020

Dear Pitzer Students,

The College continues to carefully monitor the COVID-19 (previously known as “2019 novel coronavirus”) and its impacts abroad and at home. To date, no students, faculty or staff members have been diagnosed with the COVID-19 at The Claremont Colleges. While there remains much about the virus that remains unknown, we are planning precautions and adaptations to this evolving public health situation. With this in mind, we are asking you to respond to questions about your upcoming spring break travel plans. To complete the Spring Break Travel, Housing and Meal Informational Survey, please go to your Residence homepage and complete the “Spring Break Survey – Spring 2020” application.

Please be aware of the current US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs and CDC travel advisories regarding COVID-19.

In light of a rapidly changing landscape, the College strongly discourages you from traveling internationally during spring break. We urge you to reconsider and make alternate travel plans due to the uncertainty about your ability to return to the US at the conclusion of your trip.

All residence halls and the student apartments at Claremont Collegiate Apartments remain open over spring break. The Pitzer meal plan will continue through the spring break, at Frary Dining Hall, for all students currently on a meal plan.  

Pitzer is preparing for a number of scenarios and your responses will help us do that in the coming weeks and months. As this work continues, our priority is the safety of our students, faculty, staff and visitors. Pitzer’s Emergency Preparedness website is another resource for timely updates about the outbreak, resources and medical assistance from Student Health Services at The Claremont Colleges. 

Information for Pitzer Students Currently Studying Abroad or On Exchange

For students currently participating in study abroad or exchange, we are closely monitoring events and staying in close contact with programs.

In the event of an emergency while abroad, contact your local program director or other support staff. They are in the best position to provide immediate local assistance in a crisis. You may also contact the Office of Study Abroad at studyabroad@pitzer.edu or 909.621.8214.

In an emergency, call Campus Safety at 909.607.2000 for help in connecting to an on-call staff when the office is closed. 

 Community Health Precautions
The CDC has noted that the COVID-19 is likely to start spreading in communities in the US at some point and have identified preventive actions individuals can take. Knowing the facts about the disease is also important to help work against discrimination and rumors. The CDC indicates the main COVID-19 symptoms are: fever, cough and shortness of breath.

If you are feeling ill and symptomatic:

  • Avoid contact with others
  • Do not travel while sick
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
  • Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.    

After-hours (Weekend) Medical Assistance:

If you are symptomatic or feeling ill, call 909.621.8222 and press option 5 to speak with a registered nurse to access consultation via telephone.

For urgent medical assistance call Campus Safety at 909.607.2000 or 9-1-1.

Students can also seek medical care at:

  • Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center
    1798 N. Garey Avenue, Pomona, CA 91767
  • San Antonio Community Hospital
    999 San Bernardino Road, Upland, CA 91786

If you are ill, do not attempt to drive yourself to seek medical care, call an ambulance or Campus Safety at 909.607.2000. Campus Safety can also connect you with Pitzer’s 24/7 On-Call Student Affairs Team.

Additional Resources

In the coming days, let’s work together as a community to share accurate information and take appropriate health precautions.

Mike Segawa
VP for Student Affairs