From Incarceration to the California State Assembly: Pitzer Alumnus Reggie Bullock ’22

Reggie Bullock '22 wearing a gray jacket over a maroon dress shirt
Reggie Bullock ’22

Claremont, Calif. (August 15, 2022)—Pitzer College graduate Reggie Bullock ’22, who earned his degree through Pitzer’s Inside-Out Pathway-to-BA program, has been accepted to the Jesse Unruh California Assembly Fellowship, one of the nation’s oldest and most prestigious fellowship programs. Founded in 1957, the 11-month program offers aspiring public servants the opportunity to directly participate in the legislative process and help shape public policy.

“It’s a surreal moment in my life,” said Bullock. “When I sit back and reflect from my time beginning in the criminal justice system at 14 years old to now, just getting out after a 17-year sentence, it’s definitely surreal. I’m anxious to apply myself to something good.”

Bullock is one of eight members of an initial cohort of students from the California Rehabilitation Center who have graduated from Pitzer through the Inside-Out Pathway-to-BA program. He received his associate degree for transfer in sociology from Norco College and his bachelor’s degree in organizational studies from Pitzer.

“I’m very interested in procedural justice, which means fairness in the process,” said Bullock. “It’s looking at those who come from unorthodox backgrounds such as myself. Being accepted to this fellowship means I will be entrenched in this process.”

Assembly fellows serve as full-time legislative staff in the office of an assembly member to gain hands-on experience in public policy, politics, and the California state legislature. Bullock will be involved in developing and researching legislative proposals, constituent services, analyzing bills, and writing speeches and press releases. Fellowship alumni have gone on to positions of leadership in both the public and private sectors, including federal, state, and local elected office.

“Pitzer gave me that foundation to build upon my passions and go for that future worth having,” said Bullock. “I know what it’s like to be stuck in a cell with no hope for a future. Pitzer revived my dreams and aspirations.”

About Pitzer College

Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility, and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.

Media Contact

Office of Communications
[email protected]