Pitzer College Alumnus Awarded Marshall Memorial Fellowship

Claremont, Calif. ( November 10, 2010) — Pitzer College alumnus Gilbert V. Gonzales ’03 was selected as a 2011 American Marshall Fellow through the German Marshall Fund of the United States.

Gonzales, who majored in political studies and media studies, currently serves as senior director in Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s Office of Economic and Business Policy.

“This fellowship will allow me the opportunity to engage business leaders and elected officials in Germany, Poland and France on their economic development strategies and policies,” said Gonzales. “More importantly, I will be meeting with small and large businesses that will enable me to understand the effectiveness of these strategies. Through this fellowship I will be afforded the opportunity to continue my professional growth and bring back specific ideas for application that will strengthen my ability to perform my job and contribute to the Mayor’s Office and the people of Los Angeles.”

The Marshall Memorial Fellowship provides a unique opportunity for emerging leaders from the United States and Europe to explore institutions, politics and culture on the other side of the Atlantic. American and European Fellows each visit five cities during the 24-day program. They meet formally and informally with a range of policymakers, prominent community members and local MMF alumni.