Though this is a uniquely challenging time, there are strategies that you can employ and resources that you can utilize to take a proactive and productive approach to career development during this time. Pitzer Career Services has compiled a few of these for your below.
Updated Opportunity 7/31/20: A free course on contact tracing that you can do virtually. This can be a great opportunity for skill building for future internships or research. https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/05/11/free-contact-tracing-course-johns-hopkins/
- Keep Searching
Though the employment landscape is ever-changing, there are opportunities available.
- Below are crowd-sources resources to track information on companies and organizations:
- Connect with Professionals
If done with care and sensitivity, this can be a powerful time to make career connections and have informative conversations and interactions with professionals. Pitzer Career Services can help you know the resources and techniques for connecting with Pitzer and 7C alumni, family members, and others.
- Develop Your Skills
There are so many online resources to develop new skills or enhance an existing skill set. If this season affords you more time, you an learn a new language or a new technical skill. You can read about various industries and companies or join a professional organization (many allow students to join for free or a reduced rate). There is so much to learn. Here are just a few resources:
- Do Project Work
Reach out to individuals or organizations to offer to do research or project work or volunteer virtually. There are many persons and organizations now who can use assistance and this will help you to build skills and experience and to remain engaged.
- Get Your Career Tools Ready
- Create a professional on-line presence and clean-up your social media accounts
- Update your resume and know how to create impactful cover letters
- Practice virtual interviewing – even before COVID-19, virtual interviewing was growing in popularity. Use this time to hone your virtual interviewing skills.
- Take Care of Yourself and Others
With all that is happening, it is important to take care of yourself and offer support to others. Pitzer “Strive 2 Thrive” campaign has collected a lot of resources to assist during this challenging time.
Pitzer Career Services is here for you
- Remote career advising appointments
Our career advisers fully are available for remote appointments to discuss your particular situation and to help you create a concrete plan for moving forward. Make an appointment through Handshake.
- Virtual events
Pitzer Career Services and The Claremont Colleges have moved many of our events into virtual formats. You can find the most up-to-date information on Handshake.
- Stay engaged with Pitzer Career Services on Instagram and Facebook
- On-line resources
- Handshake: Resources include the ability to make career counseling appointments, access to on-campus, part-, and full-time job and internship listings – https://pitzer.joinhandshake.com/
- Vault – Vault.com provides in-depth intelligence on what it’s really like to work in an industry, company or profession—and how to position yourself to land that job. Get full subscription access through the Resources section of Handshake – https://pitzer.joinhandshake.com/
- Uniworld: Uniworld Online covers multinational companies with headquarters in over 200 countries and 20,000 industries. Find contact information for headquarters, subsidiaries, and branches of multinational firms with offices in the US and abroad. – http://libguides.libraries.claremont.edu/434