…and then it was March!

Woosh! Was that the month of February I just saw go by my window? I hardly noticed! I must have spent the whole month hunched over my desk reading applications!

If you’re a returning reader, welcome back! If this is your first glance at the blog, thanks for your interest in Pitzer! We’re approaching the light at the end of a very long and rewarding tunnel. We’re only a week or so away from finishing all of your applications! At this time, everyone’s application has been read at least once by theĀ Admission Counselor responsible for your territory and is now circulating to a “second reader.” We use this system to ensure that the first person who sees your application has the best chance of being familiar with your high school (and may have even met you while we were traveling). Second readers give each application a fresh perspective and help us get a more holistic picture of our applicant pool. It’s been an absolute honor and joy to see your essays, recommendation letters, interview notes, MyCollegeI videos, art supplements etc.

So what’s next? Next week our whole team will come back together for an intense week-long summit that most schools simply call “committee.” We basically lock ourselves in the conference room and discuss what we’ve read so that we can build a well-rounded class. Committee is fun, emotional, exhausting, and rewarding. It is also the most poignant reminder that we innevitably receive far more excellent applications than we have the possibility of offering admission to. More on committee in the weeks ahead.

I’ll leave you with this fun piece of news. Our very own Angel Perez, Director of Admission, has been asked by the Washington Post to write about the college search and admission processes. His first article is a great checklist for any high school student who is pondering the college question.

That’s it for now. See you soon!

Posted by Adam Rosenzweig, Admission Counselor

adam-pic