Fun in the Midwest

As you probably know, I double majored in Economics and Organizational Studies.  Most of you know what Economics is, but I bet is lot of you haven’t heard of OS before.  OS is a major that combines Economics, Political Studies, Sociology and Psychology.  It is a great interdisciplinary major and studies how people interact in groups, whether it is in a fortune 500 company or a non-profit.  It is really cool, since you can apply the concepts as soon as you have learned them, since everyone has been part of an organization before.  A lot of the courses I took had to do with jobs and career paths and they led me to the conclusion that no matter what job you are doing, it is important that you are always learning something new.

Just to prove how great being an Admission Counselor is, my job taught me two new things on Monday.

1.  Rain storms can show up out of nowhere in St. Louis 

and

2. Bringing an umbrella and jacket only help if you don’t leave them in the hotel 🙂 Isn’t it great what you learn on the road. I got a little wet, but it was still warm and I didn’t have too far to run to get back to my car.  

Now don’t get me wrong.  I am used to being in rainier environments, but it is a true sign that I am a California native, since I always get confused when water randomly starts falling from the sky.  I am proud to say, though, that despite the fact that my home town of San Diego gets next to no rainfall, I at least know how to drive in the rain.

From St. Louis I traveled to Ann Arbor where I ate at Zingerman’s Deli, which is rated the best delicatessen outside of NY City.  It truly lived up to its reputation.  I was even given a coupon for a free loaf of bread and got an amazing Challah loaf.  Unfortunately this put my number of carry ons up to three and I had to check my other bag.  This should be a good indication of how good the bread was, since I was willing to check a bag to keep my bread and I always try to travel light. Checking this bag made me a little nervous, since I had to fly through Atlanta to get to Minneapolis and I didn’t get in until 10.  So the last thing I wanted to do was deal with finding my bag on top of getting my rental car and driving to the hotel.  But everything turned out great.  I guess I had done something right and had some good karma on my side, since my bag was the 2nd one off the plane.  

I do have to quickly say that the DTW airport kinda scared me a bit.  They have a really cool fountain and some cool art:

Water artI figured I should leave you with a fun picture.  Hopefully this isn’t stealing too much from John Stewart, but now for your moment of zen.

Cecil lunch
If you can’t tell, Cecil also enjoyed lunch.

A  quick reminder the registration is now online for our diversity program, Nov 6-8, and our Preview Pitzer Day, Nov 7 and 14.  The diversity information can be found at https://www.pitzer.edu/admission/diversity-program/ and the on campus day information at https://www.pitzer.edu/admission/admission-events/. Take advantage of these great opportunities to visit campus and see what Pitzer is like.

Posted by Danny Irving, Admission Counselor

Danny Leaps for joy