Requirements for the Major
Students who wish to graduate with a full major in sociology must satisfactorily complete a minimum of ten graded courses:
- • The introductory course: SOC 001 PZ
- • One theory course: SOC 109 PZ or SOC 110 PZ or SOC 112 PZ (students who are considering graduate work in sociology or a related field such as social work are strongly encouraged to take more than one theory course)
- • Two methods courses: SOC 101 PZ and SOC 102 PZ (students in the Ontario Program may use the methods course taught in that program in place of SOC 102 PZ and any Statistics course can be used to fulfill SOC 101 PZ) The Sociology field group strongly recommends that SOC 101 PZ/SOC 102 PZ should be taken prior to senior year or as soon as the major is declared
- • Five additional sociology courses, at least two of which should be from Category A
- • Three courses from Category B
- Independent studies cannot be used to fulfill these requirements.
Minor: Students who wish to graduate with a minor in sociology must satisfactorily complete six graded courses:
- • Intro course—SOC 001 PZ
- • One theory course: SOC 109 PZ or SOC 110 PZ
- • One methods course: SOC 101 PZ or SOC 102 PZ [If a student has already taken a statistics course in another field, then either the qualitative course (SOC 102 PZ) or any other sociology course should be substituted]
- • Three additional sociology courses, at least two of which should be from Category A.
- • Independent studies cannot be used to fulfill these requirements.
- • No more than three courses can be counted to fulfill the requirements in another major or minor, or be transferred from another institution
Pitzer in Ontario Courses: Sociology is continuing to accept any two of the three courses for credit towards the Sociology major.
Double Major: Students must complete the requirements of both majors, including any theses or honor requirements. Normally, no more than two courses can be counted to fulfill the requirements in both fields.
Combined Major: Students who wish to graduate with a combined major in sociology must satisfactorily complete eight graded courses: SOC 001 PZ; either SOC 109 PZ or SOC 110 PZ; both SOC 101 PZ and SOC 102 PZ; three additional sociology courses, at least two of which should be from Category A; one course from Category C. Normally, no more than two courses can be counted to fulfill the requirements in both fields.
Honors: Students who have a minimum GPA (cumulative and in sociology) of 3.5 may request that their senior thesis be considered for honors. Two sociology faculty members must evaluate the research project and make a recommendation to the Sociology Field Group. In the case of combined majors, one faculty member from each field must evaluate the project. Eligible students should begin thinking about an honors thesis at the end of their junior year and discuss their ideas for a thesis with two faculty members at the beginning of their senior year.
To contact us: Phone: 909-621-8218