Student Learning Outcomes in Environmental Analysis 2012-13
Student Learning Outcomes for All Majors in Environmental Analysis:
- 1. Understand and describe the complex social, scientific and humanistic aspects of environmental issues
- 2. Understand and apply both disciplinary and interdisciplinary analysis to environmental issues
- 3. Critically analyze, evaluate, and interpret scholarly arguments and popular discourse and be able to communicate this analysis to a variety of communities
- 4. Develop well-reasoned solutions to environmental predicaments, testing them against relevant criteria and standards
- 5. Be able to craft well-researched, informative and effective scholarly presentations
- 6. Contribute knowledge and action regarding environmental issues to the public through service learning, internships, community-based-research, and other activities
Additional Specific Student Learning Outcomes for the Separate Tracks within the major of Environmental Analysis:
Environment and Society Track
- 1. Understand and describe different cultural, ethnic, racial, and gender perspectives on the environment
- 2. Understand, describe, and conduct research on where social justice and environmental issues intersect
Environmental Policy Track
- 1. Acquire a working knowledge of the concepts, principles, and theories of environmental policy, law, and politics
- 2. Engage in critical thinking about issues and concepts in environmental policy and politics
- 3. Locate and analyze research and reports in the field of environmental policy and politics
Sustainability and the Built Environment Track
- 1. Understand and analyze sustainable design in a holistic manner.
- 2. Develop conceptual frameworks for critical inquiry and environmental problem solving.
- 3. Apply design concepts and skills for a sustainability and resilience.
- 4. Integrate scholarship and analyses to test spatial ideas.
Environmental Science Track
- 1. Design and execute experiments using the scientific method
- 2. Be able to utilize field and laboratory techniques and skills