Professor Emeritus of Linguistics
With Pitzer Since: 1965
Field Group: Linguistics
Campus e-mail: email@example.com
M.A. in English Language and Literature, University of St. Andrews, 1955.
Diploma in Linguistics, University College of North Wales, 1965.
Ph.D. in Linguistics, University of California, Los Angeles, 1971.
Social class and gender differences in language; Scottish dialects.
- Language, Social Class, and Education: a Glasgow study, 1977. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Generally Speaking: How Children Learn Language, 1980. Rowley, Mass.: Newbury House.
- Locating Dialect in Discourse: The Language of Honest Men and Bonnie Lasses in Ayr. 1991. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Standards and Variation in Urban Speech: Examples from Lowland Scots, 1997. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Talk That Counts: Age, Gender, and Social Class Differences in Discourse, 2005. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Extremely Common Eloquence: Constructing Scottish Identity through Narrative, 2005. Amsterdam: Rodopi
- The Social Art: Language and Its Uses, 2nd ed., 2006. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Quantitative Methods in Sociolinguistics. 2009. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Seven Ways of Looking at Language. 2011. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.