Darin R. Brown
Assistant Professor of Psychology
On Sabbatical/Leave Spring 2023
With Pitzer Since: 2019
Field Group: Psychology
Campus Address: Scott Hall 227
Email: [email protected]
Office Hours: Contact Professor
PhD, University of New Mexico
MA, California State University, Los Angeles
BA, California State University, Los Angeles
- EEG Signatures of Frontal Cortical Function
- Emotion Processing
- Reward and Decision Making
- Computational Psychiatry
Introduction to Psychology
Neurobiology of Emotion
Brain and Behavior
- Brown, D. R., & Cavanagh, J. F. (2018). Rewarding images do not invoke the reward positivity: They inflate it. International Journal of Psychophysiology.
- Brown, D. R., & Cavanagh, J. F. (2017). The sound and the fury: Late positive potential is sensitive to sound affect. Psychophysiology, 54(12), 1812-1825.
- Cavanagh, J. F., Mueller, A. A., Brown, D. R., Janowich, J. R., Story-Remer, J. H., Wegele, A., & Richardson, S. P. (2017). Cognitive states influence dopamine-driven aberrant learning in Parkinson’s disease. Cortex, 90, 115-124
- Brown, D.R. (2019) “Understanding the reward positivity: Parsing reward, affect, and control.” Society of Psychophysiological Research in Washington DC .
- Brown, D.R. (2019) Understanding the reward positivity: Parsing reward, affect, and control. In Tame your Desires – Cognitive Control and Reward Processing. Presented at the Society for Psychophysiological Research. Washington D.C., 10/2019.
- Witkiewitz, K., Brown, D. R., Claus, E., Jackson, T., Stein, E. R., Votaw, V., Wilson, A., Brandt, E., Robinson, C. S. H., & Clark, V. P. (2019). Drinking reductions following mindfulness-based relapse prevention: Associations with modulation of the late positive potential response to alcohol cues. In Non-abstinent recovery as treatment success: evidence from recent neurophysiological and neuroimaging studies. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Research Society on Alcoholism, Minneapolis, MN, 6/2019
- Brown, D.R. (2018) Reward positivity: a possible biomarker for early stage Parkinson’s disease. Faces of the Future Flash Talks presented at the Society for Psychophysiological Research. Quebec, Canada, 10/2018.
- Brown, D.R. (2014) Multimodal Emotional Enhanced Memory: Congruent vs. Incongruent Cross Processing Effects on Memory. Flash Talk presented at the 28TH Annual California State University Student Research Competition. Hayward, California, 05/2014.
Selected Grants, Awards, and Honors
University of New Mexico, Susan Deese-Roberts Award, Outstanding Graduate Teacher of the Year, 2019
University of New Mexico, Psychology Annual Award, Best Graduate Teacher, 2019
Society of Psychophysiological Research, Student Presentation Award, 2018
University of New Mexico, Psychology Annual Awards, Best Experimental Publication, 2018
Society of Psychophysiological Research, Student Presentation Award, 2016
Society of Psychophysiological Research, Student Presentation Award, 2015
22nd Annual CSULA Student Symposium, Graduate Speaker Award (First Place), 2014