Resnet Help Sheets
Connecting to Pzacad in Windows XP
This help sheet will provide you with instructions on how to connect to the student server called PZACAD. These instructions are based on the assumption that you already have an Ethernet card installed and configured to connect to the Internet. In addition, you will be required to enter your Pitzer account user name and password when making the connection.
If you need help, please send a help request to Resnet or call ext. 77548 to leave a message. Please provide your full name, phone number, residence hall room number, and a brief description of the problem and a Resnet Technician will assist you in the order in which your request was received.
What Is Pzacad?
Pzacad is the name of the student server here at Pitzer College. Configuring your computer to connect to Pzacad provides you with the following benefits:
- • Storage space – 200mb of free personal user space.
- • Secure – Can only be accessed by your user name and password.
- • File Protection –Files are backed up daily and can easily be retrieved from backup tapes when there is a problem.
- • Personal Web Page –May use your user space to host your own personal web page.
- • Convenient Access – Can access your personal user space from all computer labs on campus.
Mapping a Network Drive
To access your personal user space on Pzacad you must map a network drive to the Pzacad server. The following steps will guide you through this process.
- 1. Open Windows Explorer by selecting Start | Programs | Accessories | Windows Explorer.
- 2. On the Tools menu select Map Network Drive. Your screen should now look similar to Figure 1.
- Figure 1
- 3. In the Drive field click on the drop down arrow and select "H:" or an unused drive letter. In the Folder field type: \\Pzacad\students\username where username is your assigned user name.
- 4. Click on the box next to Reconnect at Logon so that a check mark appears.
- 5. Click on Connect using a different user name and enter your Pitzer user name and password. Note: You must enter your user name in the following format: Pitzer.edu\username -- where username is the Pitzer user name assigned to you.
- 6. Click Finish and a drive mapping to your personal user space will be created.
At this point, you are connected to the Pzacad server and mapped to your own personal user space on the server. When you want to save a file to the server use the drop down arrow in the Save As dialog box and locate the drive mapping you just created it step 3.