Resnet Help Sheets
Connecting To Pzacad In Mac OS X 10.5-10.6
This help sheet will provide you with instructions on how to connect to the student server called PZACAD using using Mac OS X 10.5-10.6. These instructions are based on the assumption that you already have an Ethernet card installed and configured to connect to the Internet. In addition, you will be required to enter your account user name and password when making the connection. If you need assistance with your account information, please send an Online Help Request to Resnet or call ext. 77548.
What is Pzacad?
Pzacad is the name of the student server here at Pitzer College. Configuring your computer to connect to Pzacad provides you with the following benefits:
- • Storage space – 200mb of free personal user space.
- • Secure – Can only be accessed by your user name and password.
- • File Protection – Files are backed up daily and can easily be retrieved from backup tapes when there is a problem.
- • Personal Web Page – May use your user space to host your own personal web page.
- • Convenient Access – Can access your personal user space from all computer labs on campus.
To connect to the Pzacad server, you must be running Mac OS X 10.1.2 or higher. If you are running a Mac OS X version lower than this, use the Software Update utility located in System Preferences to update Mac OS X to the latest version. To access System Preferences, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences from the menu. Under System, select Software Update and click on the Update Now button.
The following steps will guide you through the process of connecting to the Pzacad server.
- 1. On the Go menu, select Connect to Server. The Connect to Server dialog box will appear.
- 2. In the Address: box, enter smb://pzacad.pitzer.edu and click the Connect button (Figure 1).
- 3. Enter your Pitzer user name and password. Click Connect. (Figure 2).
- 4. In the SMB/CIFS dialog box, use the drop down and select Students. Your screen should now look like Figure 3.
- 5. Click on the OK button. An icon called Students should now appear on your desktop.
- If the icon doesn't appear: Go to the Finder Window, in the upper left corner, click Finder > Preferences. Make sure the check in is the box next to Connected Servers.
- 6. Double click on the Students icon on your desktop to open it.
- 7. Finished! You are now connected to the Pzacad server. You have access to the folder with your user name only. At this point, you can use drag and drop or use the File menu in your applications to save your files to your user space on the server.
Remember! Files saved on the Pzacad server are backed up daily. For this reason it is highly recommended that you save important files related to your schoolwork in your personal user space.
If you have any questions about this help sheet or are having a difficult time connecting to the Pzacad server, send an Online Help Request to Resnet or call ext. 77548 and leave your name, extension, room number and a brief description of the problem and a Resnet Technician will get back to you.