Resnet Help Sheets
Getting Connected In Mac OS X
This help sheet will provide you with instructions on how to connect to the student server called PZACAD using Mac OS 7.6 through 9.2. These instructions are based on the assumption that you already have an Ethernet card installed and configured to connect to the Internet. In addition, you will be required to enter your Pitzer account user name and password when making the connection.
If you need help, please send a help request to Resnet or call ext. 77548 to leave a message. Please provide your full name, phone number, residence hall room number, and a brief description of the problem and a Resnet Technician will assist you in the order in which your request was received.
Configuring Your Connection
Your Mac should be turned on and the network cable from you Ethernet card should be plugged into the data port labeled "A" on the wall faceplate. If you plug into port "B" you may not be able to connect to the network. In most cases, only port "A" is live.
- 1. Click on the Apple located in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences.
- 2. Inside the System Preferences window, click on the Network icon. Your screen should now look similar to the image below (Figure 1).
- Figure 1
- 3. In the Location box use the drop down arrow and select Automatic.
- 4. In the Show box (On some earlier versions of OS X this box is labeled "Configure") use the drop down arrow and select Built-in Ethernet.
- 5. Click on the TCP/IP tab and verify that the Configure box within this tab is set to Using DHCP.
- 6. Next select the AppleTalk tab. Verify that the box entitled Make AppleTalk Active is not checked. Your screen should look like Figure 2. You do not need to make any other changes.
- Figure 2
- 7. Finally, click Save to apply these settings and exit System Preferences.
You are now ready to connect to the Internet. Verify that your settings are correct by launching your browser and try connecting to different web sites.