Resnet Help Sheets
Getting Connected In Windows 2000
This help sheet is designed to assist you in configuring Windows 2000 to connect to the Internet from your dorm room. These instructions are based on the assumption that your Ethernet card is already installed in your computer. Instructions for installing your Ethernet card should have come with your card upon purchase. If you need help installing your network card, please send an Online Help Request to Resnet or call ext. 77548 and push "2" to leave a message. Please provide your full name, phone number, dorm room number, and a brief description of the problem and a Resnet Technician will assist you in the order in which your request was received.
Setting up TCP/IP and DHCP
Before configuring your network settings, make sure your Ethernet Adapter (or Ethernet Card) is physically installed in your computer and plugged into the data port on the wall with an Ethernet cable.
First, check to see if TCP/IP is already pre-installed. To check, open the Network and Dial-UP Connections folder (click on the Start button, select the Settings menu and select Network and Dial-UP Connections) and double-click the Local Area Connection icon. On the Configuration tab, check for a network component called Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). If it exists, skip to step 5. Otherwise, follow the directions listed below.
- 1. Open the Network and Dial-Up Connections folder and double click on Local Area Connection.
- 2. Select Properties and than click on the Install button.
- 3. Select Protocol, and click on Add.
- 4. Choose Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the list and click OK. You should now be back at the Local Area Connection Properties window (Figure 1).
- Figure 1
- 5. Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties. Select Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically (Figure 2) and click OK to apply the changes.
- Figure 2
- 6. Finished!
You are now ready to connect to the Internet. Verify that your settings are correct by launching your browser and try connecting to different Websites. If you have any problems or questions concerning the configuration settings, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call ext. 77548 and push "2" to leave a message.