Founder of Institute of Transpersonal Psychology Robert Frager to Speak at Pitzer College
"The Making of a Transpersonal Psychologist"
Claremont, Calif. (October 1, 2007)-Transpersonal Psychologist, consultant, educator and spiritual teacher Dr. Robert Frager will be a guest speaker at Pitzer College in a talk titled "The Making of a Transpersonal Psychologist" on October 12, 2007, from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in Avery Hall 201. Transpersonal Psychology is the extension of psychological studies into consciousness studies, spiritual inquiry, body-mind relationships and transformation.
Frager, founding President Institute Transpersonal Psychology, is currently a Professor and the Director of the Spiritual Guidance Specialization. He was trained in Aikido in Japan where he was a personal student of the founder of Aikido, and holds a seventh degree black belt-the highest honor ever awarded to a westerner. He is a transpersonal psychologist, consultant, educator and a spiritual teacher in the Sufi tradition, and holds the rank of Professor and is Director of the Spiritual Guidance Program.
Before founding the Institute, Frager taught psychology and religious studies for seven years at University of California Berkeley and University of California Santa Cruz. He co-authored Personality and Personal Growth (fifth edition), and edited Love is the Wine, an introduction to Sufism; Who am I?; Personality Typologies for Self Discovery, an anthology of personality typologies; and Essential Sufism, an anthology of Sufi teaching materials. He is the author of Heart, Self and Soul: The Sufi Psychology of Growth, Balance, and Wholeness, an introduction to Sufi Psychology. His most recent publications deal with such subjects such as the transpersonal dimensions of Aikido and spirituality in business. Frager earned his PhD in Social Psychology from Harvard University.
"Transpersonal psychology is a growing field, which provides a more holistic basis for studying the human experience. It expands more traditional studies in psychology that have focused on the structure of the brain, on people's behaviors or on psychological problems to include the emotional and spiritual aspects of the human experience, a focus on positive psychology, as well as on the complex interplay of mind and body," Professor of Psychology Mita Banerjee said.
The Frager event is free and open to the public. The event is sponsored by Pitzer College's Campus Life Committee.
Two other related activities will take place near Pitzer College at Musubi Dojo, 1420 N. Claremont Blvd., #204A. For more information, please call (909) 624-7770.
October 13 from 10:30 to noon: Musashi's Book of Five Rings-a manual for Aikido Training sponsored by the Aiko Institute. Open to Aikido students. Training fee: $20. From 2 to 3:30 p.m. "The Psychology of Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings" sponsored by the Aiko Institute. This talk is open to the public. Donations will be accepted.
About Pitzer College
Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.
Press Releases, 2013–14 Academic Year
- Kunda Dixit, Founder of the Nepali Times, Speaks at Pitzer College
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 25, 2013
- Pitzer College Dean of Faculty and Professor Emeritus Named 2014 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 18, 2013
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 11, 2013
- Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
- Pitzer Professors and Fulbright Chair Hold Poetry and Tattoo Workshop
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 4, 2013
- From a Museum of Peace, Images of Nepal's Civil War
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 28, 2013
- State Senator and Pitzer Alumnus Kevin de León '03 Named Policymaker of the Year
- Pitzer College Tops Fulbright List for 4th Straight Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 21, 2013
- Pitzer Secular Studies Professor Goes to Church to Debate Role of Religion
- Pitzer Professor Discusses Liberal Arts Colleges in a National Context
- Happy 111th B-Day Grove House
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 14, 2013
- Pitzer College Named a 2014 Best Value College by Kiplinger
- Pitzer Alumna Wins Best Documentary Award at International Film Festival
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of October 7, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumnus Honored for Leadership in Conservation
- Amazonian Art Exhibit Opens at Pitzer College
- Pitzer Professor to Speak on New Approach to Understanding Public Opinion
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College's New LEED-Certified Residence Halls Win Design Award
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College to Present Inaugural Core Values Award
- Pitzer Professor Helps Create Paths to College for Minority and Low-Income Students
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 16, 2013
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 9, 2013
- Pitzer College Rises Eight Spots to #35 in 2014 U.S.News and World Report College Rankings
- Pitzer College Professor Launches First Global Distributed Open Collaborative Course
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of August 26, 2013
- Pitzer Ranks #1 in Greenest Campus, Healthiest Dining Hall and Most Flexible Curriculums
- Pitzer College Wins Excellence Award from University and College Designers Association
- Lots in Translation: Professor Phil Zuckerman’s books hit international bookshelves
- Pitzer Professor and Students Study Paleontological Treasures in China
- Movie Based on Best-Selling Book by Pitzer Alumnus Max Brooks ’94 Hits Box Office Highs
- Pitzer College Wins a 2013 APEX Award of Excellence
- Pitzer College Students to Present Scientific Research at National Conference
- Pitzer College Professor Explores African Intellectual History in New Book
- Pitzer College Professor of Chemistry Awarded National Research and Teaching Honor
- In Fragments, Pitzer Art Professor Reveals the Whole Picture
- Sagehens Women's Track and Field Scores Nation's Highest GPA
- Pitzer College Professor Offers a New Perspective on America's Favorite Pastime
- Sagehens Women's Water Polo Team Scores All-American Honors
- Pitzer College Professor Receives Cambridge Fellowship to Examine Debates in the Quran
- Pitzer College Recent Graduates Set New Record with 24 Fulbright Fellowships