Cynthia Ann McKinney to be the Sojourner Truth Lecturer at The Claremont Colleges
Claremont, Calif. (September 25, 2007)—The Intercollegiate Department of Black Studies of The Claremont Colleges has announced that Cynthia Ann McKinney will be the twenty-third keynote speaker of the annual Sojourner Truth Lecture on Thursday, October 11 at Pitzer College. McKinney, an internationally renowned advocate for human rights, voting rights and holding government accountable, was elected as the first African-American congress woman from Georgia.
In her first term as congresswoman, McKinney was appointed to the Armed Services Committee and the International Relations Committee. She sponsored the Arms Transfer Code of Conduct to prevent the sale of U.S. weapons to dictators, which passed the House in June 1997. During her second term in 2004, she worked on challenging and controversial issues, including a critique of the 9/11 Commission Report and advocated on behalf of the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
“I'm proud to speak truth to power and to serve as a voice for the voiceless,” Ms. McKinney said.
McKinney earned a BA in international relations from the University of Southern California in 1978 and a MA in Law and Diplomacy from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University.
The Sojourner Truth Lecture was established in 1983 and honors the achievements and contributions of outstanding women from the African Diaspora. The lectureship is sponsored by all six Claremont Colleges: Pitzer, Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, Scripps and Claremont Graduate University.
Past speakers of the Sojourner Truth Lectures include poet Maya Angelou; singer Nancy Wilson; feminist theorist, cultural critic and writer bell hooks; medical doctor, astronaut Mae Jemison and many other prominent African American women who have made a significant impact on society.
The lecture will take place on the Pitzer College campus at 7:15 p.m. on Thursday, October 11 in the Avery Auditorium. There is no cost to attend the event; however, seating is limited. For more information, contact Sonya Young at (909) 607-7030.
About Pitzer College
Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.
Press Releases, 2013–14 Academic Year
- Pitzer College Alumna Publishes Book about Women of African Descent in South America
- Kunda Dixit, Founder of the Nepali Times, Speaks at Pitzer College
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 25, 2013
- Pitzer College Dean of Faculty and Professor Emeritus Named 2014 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 18, 2013
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 11, 2013
- Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
- Pitzer Professors and Fulbright Chair Hold Poetry and Tattoo Workshop
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 4, 2013
- From a Museum of Peace, Images of Nepal's Civil War
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 28, 2013
- State Senator and Pitzer Alumnus Kevin de León '03 Named Policymaker of the Year
- Pitzer College Tops Fulbright List for 4th Straight Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 21, 2013
- Pitzer Secular Studies Professor Goes to Church to Debate Role of Religion
- Pitzer Professor Discusses Liberal Arts Colleges in a National Context
- Happy 111th B-Day Grove House
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 14, 2013
- Pitzer College Named a 2014 Best Value College by Kiplinger
- Pitzer Alumna Wins Best Documentary Award at International Film Festival
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of October 7, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumnus Honored for Leadership in Conservation
- Amazonian Art Exhibit Opens at Pitzer College
- Pitzer Professor to Speak on New Approach to Understanding Public Opinion
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College's New LEED-Certified Residence Halls Win Design Award
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College to Present Inaugural Core Values Award
- Pitzer Professor Helps Create Paths to College for Minority and Low-Income Students
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 16, 2013
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 9, 2013
- Pitzer College Rises Eight Spots to #35 in 2014 U.S.News and World Report College Rankings
- Pitzer College Professor Launches First Global Distributed Open Collaborative Course
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of August 26, 2013
- Pitzer Ranks #1 in Greenest Campus, Healthiest Dining Hall and Most Flexible Curriculums
- Pitzer College Wins Excellence Award from University and College Designers Association
- Lots in Translation: Professor Phil Zuckerman’s books hit international bookshelves
- Pitzer Professor and Students Study Paleontological Treasures in China
- Movie Based on Best-Selling Book by Pitzer Alumnus Max Brooks ’94 Hits Box Office Highs
- Pitzer College Wins a 2013 APEX Award of Excellence
- Pitzer College Students to Present Scientific Research at National Conference
- Pitzer College Professor Explores African Intellectual History in New Book
- Pitzer College Professor of Chemistry Awarded National Research and Teaching Honor
- In Fragments, Pitzer Art Professor Reveals the Whole Picture
- Sagehens Women's Track and Field Scores Nation's Highest GPA
- Pitzer College Professor Offers a New Perspective on America's Favorite Pastime
- Sagehens Women's Water Polo Team Scores All-American Honors
- Pitzer College Professor Receives Cambridge Fellowship to Examine Debates in the Quran
- Pitzer College Recent Graduates Set New Record with 24 Fulbright Fellowships