Pitzer College Sets Fulbright Record for Colleges its Size for Fourth Consecutive Year
Fulbright Grants Awarded to Thirteen 2006 Graduates and Two Alumnae
Claremont, Calif. (May 30, 2006) – Pitzer College has been awarded a record fifteen Fulbright Fellowships for the 2006-07 academic year. Thirteen 2006 graduates and two alumnae have been awarded Fulbright grants to continue in their fields of study in either a teaching or research capacity. Pitzer College has exceeded last year’s Fulbright national record of nine 2005 graduates and one alumnus fellowship for schools of its size.
Fifteen Pitzer students were recommended for Fulbright Fellowships for 2005-2006 by the U.S. Fulbright Committee. Those recommendations were forwarded to the Fulbright committees in the respective host countries, where final decisions were made between April and June. The majority of the Fulbright awardees participated in Pitzer College’s Study Abroad programs.
The 2006-07 Fulbright awardees include Bianca Barragan (South Korea); Veronica Briggs ’02 (Indonesia); Chris Burwick (Germany); Rainbow Chung (China), Yvonne Hong (Turkey) '05; Patrick Leue (Venezuela); Alex Page (South Korea); Blair McGregor (South Korea); Kate Sherwood (Thailand); Raumene Rahatzad (Azerbaijan); Sabrina Dence (Panama); Michelle Swanson Lightfoot (Spain); Katrina Sitar (Moldova); Kathleen Brooks (Bosnia-Herzegovina); and Traci Kutaka (South Korea). Kathleen Brooks will be the first Fulbright representative ever to Bosnia-Herzegovina.
“Our Fulbright scholars reflect the global perspective of the College’s curriculum, the excellence of its study abroad programs and the high scholarship of its students,” Pitzer College President Laura Skandera Trombley said.
In addition to the fifteen recipients, Pitzer College also had three Fulbright alternates: Sarah Evershed, Kathrine Marquéz and Casey Scieszka.
Please visit www.pitzer.edu to view spotlight features on each of the fifteen Pitzer College Fulbright awardees.
About Pitzer College
Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.
About Fulbright Fellowships
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program, founded in 1946 and sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, offers opportunities for recent graduates, postgraduate candidates and developing professionals and artists to conduct career-launching study and research abroad. Over the decades, the Fulbright Program has provided more than 250,000 students, scholars and professionals worldwide with the opportunity to observe each others’ political, economic and cultural institutions, exchange ideas and embark on joint ventures or importance to the general welfare of the world’s inhabitants.
Press Releases, 2013–14 Academic Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of December 2, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumna Publishes Book about Women of African Descent in South America
- Kunda Dixit, Founder of the Nepali Times, Speaks at Pitzer College
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 25, 2013
- Pitzer College Dean of Faculty and Professor Emeritus Named 2014 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 18, 2013
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 11, 2013
- Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
- Pitzer Professors and Fulbright Chair Hold Poetry and Tattoo Workshop
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 4, 2013
- From a Museum of Peace, Images of Nepal's Civil War
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 28, 2013
- State Senator and Pitzer Alumnus Kevin de León '03 Named Policymaker of the Year
- Pitzer College Tops Fulbright List for 4th Straight Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 21, 2013
- Pitzer Secular Studies Professor Goes to Church to Debate Role of Religion
- Pitzer Professor Discusses Liberal Arts Colleges in a National Context
- Happy 111th B-Day Grove House
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 14, 2013
- Pitzer College Named a 2014 Best Value College by Kiplinger
- Pitzer Alumna Wins Best Documentary Award at International Film Festival
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of October 7, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumnus Honored for Leadership in Conservation
- Amazonian Art Exhibit Opens at Pitzer College
- Pitzer Professor to Speak on New Approach to Understanding Public Opinion
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College's New LEED-Certified Residence Halls Win Design Award
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College to Present Inaugural Core Values Award
- Pitzer Professor Helps Create Paths to College for Minority and Low-Income Students
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 16, 2013
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 9, 2013
- Pitzer College Rises Eight Spots to #35 in 2014 U.S.News and World Report College Rankings
- Pitzer College Professor Launches First Global Distributed Open Collaborative Course
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of August 26, 2013
- Pitzer Ranks #1 in Greenest Campus, Healthiest Dining Hall and Most Flexible Curriculums
- Pitzer College Wins Excellence Award from University and College Designers Association
- Lots in Translation: Professor Phil Zuckerman’s books hit international bookshelves
- Pitzer Professor and Students Study Paleontological Treasures in China
- Movie Based on Best-Selling Book by Pitzer Alumnus Max Brooks ’94 Hits Box Office Highs
- Pitzer College Wins a 2013 APEX Award of Excellence
- Pitzer College Students to Present Scientific Research at National Conference
- Pitzer College Professor Explores African Intellectual History in New Book
- Pitzer College Professor of Chemistry Awarded National Research and Teaching Honor
- In Fragments, Pitzer Art Professor Reveals the Whole Picture
- Sagehens Women's Track and Field Scores Nation's Highest GPA
- Pitzer College Professor Offers a New Perspective on America's Favorite Pastime
- Sagehens Women's Water Polo Team Scores All-American Honors
- Pitzer College Professor Receives Cambridge Fellowship to Examine Debates in the Quran
- Pitzer College Recent Graduates Set New Record with 24 Fulbright Fellowships