Pitzer College Selected by The Princeton Review as a "College with a Conscience"
Claremont, CA (March 28, 2005) – Pitzer College is one of the nation's best schools fostering social responsibility and public service, according to The Princeton Review and Campus Compact. Pitzer College is one of 81 institutions in 33 states that The Princeton Review commends and features in its forthcoming book, Colleges with a Conscience: 81 Great Schools with Outstanding Community Involvement (Random House / Princeton Review Books.)
"A college with a conscience," says Robert Franek, Princeton Review V.P., Admission Services, "has both an administration committed to social responsibility and a student body actively engaged in serving society. Education at these schools isn't only about private gain: it's about the public good."
The Princeton Review partnered with Campus Compact, a national organization committed to the civic purposes of higher education, to develop and select colleges for Colleges with a Conscience. The book's editors also invited dozens of organizations with expertise in campus community service and student engagement to nominate colleges for inclusion. Criteria included: the college's admissions practices and scholarships rewarding community service; support for service-learning programs, student activism, and student voice in school governance; and level of social engagement of its student body.
The Princeton Review and Campus Compact winnowed a list of 100 schools from a pool of more than 900 colleges. From this shortlist, the editors collected extensive data about schools' service programs and policies, surveying their students and faculty/staff. The 81 schools chosen for Colleges with a Conscience represent a diverse range of institutions by geographic region, campus size, setting (urban/rural), and type (public/private).
Each two-page profile provides detailed information about civic engagement and service-learning programs on campus, in the classroom, and in the community, as well as advice for applicants. The book also includes a section on researching colleges with service-learning programs and gaining financial support for service. Profiles of 15 students share perceptions and feedback about their civic engagement activities, advice, and experience.
Founded in 1963, Pitzer College is a nationally ranked undergraduate college of the liberal arts and sciences. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community connectivity.
The Princeton Review www.princetonreview.com) is known for its classroom and online test-prep courses, books and other education services. Headquartered in New York City with offices across the USA and abroad, it is not affiliated with Princeton University or ETS. Campus Compact www.compact.org) is a national coalition of more than 950 college and university presidents committed to supporting the public purposes of higher education. Its national office is in Providence, RI, and it has local offices in 30 states.
About Pitzer College
Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.
Press Releases, 2013–14 Academic Year
- Pitzer College Alumna Publishes Book about Women of African Descent in South America
- Kunda Dixit, Founder of the Nepali Times, Speaks at Pitzer College
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 25, 2013
- Pitzer College Dean of Faculty and Professor Emeritus Named 2014 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 18, 2013
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 11, 2013
- Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
- Pitzer Professors and Fulbright Chair Hold Poetry and Tattoo Workshop
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 4, 2013
- From a Museum of Peace, Images of Nepal's Civil War
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 28, 2013
- State Senator and Pitzer Alumnus Kevin de León '03 Named Policymaker of the Year
- Pitzer College Tops Fulbright List for 4th Straight Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 21, 2013
- Pitzer Secular Studies Professor Goes to Church to Debate Role of Religion
- Pitzer Professor Discusses Liberal Arts Colleges in a National Context
- Happy 111th B-Day Grove House
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 14, 2013
- Pitzer College Named a 2014 Best Value College by Kiplinger
- Pitzer Alumna Wins Best Documentary Award at International Film Festival
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of October 7, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumnus Honored for Leadership in Conservation
- Amazonian Art Exhibit Opens at Pitzer College
- Pitzer Professor to Speak on New Approach to Understanding Public Opinion
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College's New LEED-Certified Residence Halls Win Design Award
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College to Present Inaugural Core Values Award
- Pitzer Professor Helps Create Paths to College for Minority and Low-Income Students
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 16, 2013
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 9, 2013
- Pitzer College Rises Eight Spots to #35 in 2014 U.S.News and World Report College Rankings
- Pitzer College Professor Launches First Global Distributed Open Collaborative Course
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of August 26, 2013
- Pitzer Ranks #1 in Greenest Campus, Healthiest Dining Hall and Most Flexible Curriculums
- Pitzer College Wins Excellence Award from University and College Designers Association
- Lots in Translation: Professor Phil Zuckerman’s books hit international bookshelves
- Pitzer Professor and Students Study Paleontological Treasures in China
- Movie Based on Best-Selling Book by Pitzer Alumnus Max Brooks ’94 Hits Box Office Highs
- Pitzer College Wins a 2013 APEX Award of Excellence
- Pitzer College Students to Present Scientific Research at National Conference
- Pitzer College Professor Explores African Intellectual History in New Book
- Pitzer College Professor of Chemistry Awarded National Research and Teaching Honor
- In Fragments, Pitzer Art Professor Reveals the Whole Picture
- Sagehens Women's Track and Field Scores Nation's Highest GPA
- Pitzer College Professor Offers a New Perspective on America's Favorite Pastime
- Sagehens Women's Water Polo Team Scores All-American Honors
- Pitzer College Professor Receives Cambridge Fellowship to Examine Debates in the Quran
- Pitzer College Recent Graduates Set New Record with 24 Fulbright Fellowships