Pitzer College to Host Gender Rights Workshop
CLAREMONT, Calif. (March 31, 2005) -- Pitzer College will host the GenderYOUTH Activist Training Workshop from 7 to 9 p.m., Wednesday, April 6, in the Broad Performance Space of the Edythe and Eli Broad Center. GenderPAC, the workshop organizer, says the event will help participants gain organizing skills and devise strategies to end gender stereotypes and gender-based discrimination, violence, harassment and bullying locally and nationally.
The GenderYOUTH Network combats bullying and discrimination caused by gender stereotypes through peer-to-peer outreach, grassroots organizing and community education.
The Gender Public Advocacy Coalition (GenderPAC) works to end discrimination and violence caused by gender stereotypes by changing public attitudes, educating elected officials and expanding human rights. GenderPAC also promotes understanding of the connection between discrimination based on gender stereotypes and sex, sexual orientation, age, race, class.
"We have been forging partnerships and building coalitions that bring diverse groups – parents, people of color, teachers, feminists, lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgenders, intersex activists and leaders – into this important work," the group says on its Web site, www.gpac.org/youth.
GenderPAC was established in 1995 as an association of national advocacy groups. The same year the group launched its first formal programs, hired its first full-time staff, and began growing at about 35% annually.
The event, co-sponsored by the Pitzer College Forum Fund, is free and open to the public.
For more information, please contact Teresa Vázquez, visiting professor of Chicano Studies and sociology, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Pitzer College
Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.
Press Releases, 2013–14 Academic Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of December 2, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumna Publishes Book about Women of African Descent in South America
- Kunda Dixit, Founder of the Nepali Times, Speaks at Pitzer College
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 25, 2013
- Pitzer College Dean of Faculty and Professor Emeritus Named 2014 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 18, 2013
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 11, 2013
- Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
- Pitzer Professors and Fulbright Chair Hold Poetry and Tattoo Workshop
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 4, 2013
- From a Museum of Peace, Images of Nepal's Civil War
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 28, 2013
- State Senator and Pitzer Alumnus Kevin de León '03 Named Policymaker of the Year
- Pitzer College Tops Fulbright List for 4th Straight Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 21, 2013
- Pitzer Secular Studies Professor Goes to Church to Debate Role of Religion
- Pitzer Professor Discusses Liberal Arts Colleges in a National Context
- Happy 111th B-Day Grove House
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 14, 2013
- Pitzer College Named a 2014 Best Value College by Kiplinger
- Pitzer Alumna Wins Best Documentary Award at International Film Festival
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of October 7, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumnus Honored for Leadership in Conservation
- Amazonian Art Exhibit Opens at Pitzer College
- Pitzer Professor to Speak on New Approach to Understanding Public Opinion
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College's New LEED-Certified Residence Halls Win Design Award
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College to Present Inaugural Core Values Award
- Pitzer Professor Helps Create Paths to College for Minority and Low-Income Students
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 16, 2013
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 9, 2013
- Pitzer College Rises Eight Spots to #35 in 2014 U.S.News and World Report College Rankings
- Pitzer College Professor Launches First Global Distributed Open Collaborative Course
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of August 26, 2013
- Pitzer Ranks #1 in Greenest Campus, Healthiest Dining Hall and Most Flexible Curriculums
- Pitzer College Wins Excellence Award from University and College Designers Association
- Lots in Translation: Professor Phil Zuckerman’s books hit international bookshelves
- Pitzer Professor and Students Study Paleontological Treasures in China
- Movie Based on Best-Selling Book by Pitzer Alumnus Max Brooks ’94 Hits Box Office Highs
- Pitzer College Wins a 2013 APEX Award of Excellence
- Pitzer College Students to Present Scientific Research at National Conference
- Pitzer College Professor Explores African Intellectual History in New Book
- Pitzer College Professor of Chemistry Awarded National Research and Teaching Honor
- In Fragments, Pitzer Art Professor Reveals the Whole Picture
- Sagehens Women's Track and Field Scores Nation's Highest GPA
- Pitzer College Professor Offers a New Perspective on America's Favorite Pastime
- Sagehens Women's Water Polo Team Scores All-American Honors
- Pitzer College Professor Receives Cambridge Fellowship to Examine Debates in the Quran
- Pitzer College Recent Graduates Set New Record with 24 Fulbright Fellowships