Vicenta Arrizon '04 and Gil Gonzales '03 Land Prestigious Coro Fellowships
CLAREMONT, Calif. (April 14, 2004) — Vicenta Arrizon, a Pitzer College senior, and Gilbert Gonzales '03 have been selected to participate in the 2004-2005 Coro Fellows Program in Public Affairs.
Arrizon and Gonzales will be based in the Los Angeles Coro Center and will take part in a series of internships, interviews, public service projects and seminars. They were among 64 interns chosen from a pool of 300-400 applicants nationwide.
The Coro Fellows Program is the most long-standing and well known of the Coro programs. It is an intensive nine-month, full-time, graduate-level program. Unconventional by traditional academic standards, the program is rigorous and demanding, and is an unparalleled opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Gonzales, who works as an Irvine Diversity Post Baccalaureate Urban Fellow with the Center for California Cultural and Social Issues at Pitzer College, plans to conduct most of his work and research in the area of homelessness and literacy programs to reduce recidivism rates among incarcerated youth.
Gonzales said a strong and encouraging faculty at Pitzer has helped to prepare him for the fellowship.
After this fellowship, he plans to attend law school and eventually hold political office. "The Coro fellowship will allow me to experience all aspects of public affairs from different perspectives while networking with some very influential people," he said.
Arrizon participated in the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute in the summer of 2003 in Washington, D.C. Her career goals include law school and entering politics as either a policy maker or campaign organizer.
By the end of the internship, Coro participants will have interned in a government agency, a corporation, a community organization, a media organization, a labor union and a political campaign.
Coro alumni include Sen. Dianne Feinstein, several members of congress and hundreds of executives in the business, public and nonprofit sectors in the U.S. In addition to Los Angeles, the program is conducted in San Francisco, St. Louis, New York and Pittsburgh.
About Pitzer College
Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.
Press Releases, 2013–14 Academic Year
- Pitzer College Alumna Publishes Book about Women of African Descent in South America
- Kunda Dixit, Founder of the Nepali Times, Speaks at Pitzer College
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 25, 2013
- Pitzer College Dean of Faculty and Professor Emeritus Named 2014 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 18, 2013
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 11, 2013
- Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
- Pitzer Professors and Fulbright Chair Hold Poetry and Tattoo Workshop
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 4, 2013
- From a Museum of Peace, Images of Nepal's Civil War
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 28, 2013
- State Senator and Pitzer Alumnus Kevin de León '03 Named Policymaker of the Year
- Pitzer College Tops Fulbright List for 4th Straight Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 21, 2013
- Pitzer Secular Studies Professor Goes to Church to Debate Role of Religion
- Pitzer Professor Discusses Liberal Arts Colleges in a National Context
- Happy 111th B-Day Grove House
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 14, 2013
- Pitzer College Named a 2014 Best Value College by Kiplinger
- Pitzer Alumna Wins Best Documentary Award at International Film Festival
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of October 7, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumnus Honored for Leadership in Conservation
- Amazonian Art Exhibit Opens at Pitzer College
- Pitzer Professor to Speak on New Approach to Understanding Public Opinion
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College's New LEED-Certified Residence Halls Win Design Award
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College to Present Inaugural Core Values Award
- Pitzer Professor Helps Create Paths to College for Minority and Low-Income Students
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 16, 2013
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 9, 2013
- Pitzer College Rises Eight Spots to #35 in 2014 U.S.News and World Report College Rankings
- Pitzer College Professor Launches First Global Distributed Open Collaborative Course
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of August 26, 2013
- Pitzer Ranks #1 in Greenest Campus, Healthiest Dining Hall and Most Flexible Curriculums
- Pitzer College Wins Excellence Award from University and College Designers Association
- Lots in Translation: Professor Phil Zuckerman’s books hit international bookshelves
- Pitzer Professor and Students Study Paleontological Treasures in China
- Movie Based on Best-Selling Book by Pitzer Alumnus Max Brooks ’94 Hits Box Office Highs
- Pitzer College Wins a 2013 APEX Award of Excellence
- Pitzer College Students to Present Scientific Research at National Conference
- Pitzer College Professor Explores African Intellectual History in New Book
- Pitzer College Professor of Chemistry Awarded National Research and Teaching Honor
- In Fragments, Pitzer Art Professor Reveals the Whole Picture
- Sagehens Women's Track and Field Scores Nation's Highest GPA
- Pitzer College Professor Offers a New Perspective on America's Favorite Pastime
- Sagehens Women's Water Polo Team Scores All-American Honors
- Pitzer College Professor Receives Cambridge Fellowship to Examine Debates in the Quran
- Pitzer College Recent Graduates Set New Record with 24 Fulbright Fellowships