Multicultural Lessons at the Dinner Table and Beyond
Pitzer College hosts author Cathy Bao Bean for reading and conversation
CLAREMONT, Calif. (Oct. 15, 2003) - Cathy Bao Bean knows the struggle to understand one's identity and candidly shares her journey in The Chopsticks – Fork Principle: A Memoir and Manual.
Pitzer College will host a reading and conversation with Cathy Bao Bean at 4 p.m., Thursday, October 30, in the Broad Center Performance Space. The author will read selections from her book and promises to engage the minds and hearts of those who attend.
Author Celia Morris describes Bean's book as, "Zany, moving, hilarious, and deep – not infrequently all at once - Cathy Bao Bean has written a tart, feisty, whimsical, and penetrating saga of the family that invented the Chopsticks- Fork Principle and then proceeded to live by it. No reader can leave this book satisfied with the relatively staid life he or she had on opening it."
As a Chinese immigrant raised in the United States, Bean's life has been a series of lessons in the synthesis of multiple cultures. Bean's book carries us through her experience as a daughter in a Chinese family, wife to a Caucasian, free-spirited artist, mother raising her son to be at least bicultural and ends with her new role as a mother-in-law. Bean writes from the belief that we are all multicultural and have a great deal to learn by increasing our awareness of diversity.
Bean speaks and writes from the perspective of a daughter, business manager, aerobic instructor, mother, friend, writer, sister, educational consultant, wife, activist for the New Jersey Council for the Humanities, philosophy teacher, cook, student, carpool driver and board member of the Society for Values in Higher Education. Bean is an alumna of Claremont Graduate University.
"What Cathy Bao Bean has to say is something all Pitzer students can relate to. Pitzer is all about diversity and the belief that we are all multicultural," says Chris Frausto, Assistant to the Director of the Center for California Cultural and Social Issues. Pitzer welcomes the public to attend and learn from this reading and conversation. Hors d'oeuvres and beverages will be served. Bean's book will be available for purchase and she will be available for book signing after the free program.
This event is hosted by Pitzer College's Center for Asian and Pacific American Students (CAPAS), Center for California Cultural and Social Issues (CCCSI) and Intercollegiate Department of Asian American Studies.
About Pitzer College
Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.
Press Releases, 2013–14 Academic Year
- Pitzer College Alumna Publishes Book about Women of African Descent in South America
- Kunda Dixit, Founder of the Nepali Times, Speaks at Pitzer College
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 25, 2013
- Pitzer College Dean of Faculty and Professor Emeritus Named 2014 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 18, 2013
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 11, 2013
- Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
- Pitzer Professors and Fulbright Chair Hold Poetry and Tattoo Workshop
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 4, 2013
- From a Museum of Peace, Images of Nepal's Civil War
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 28, 2013
- State Senator and Pitzer Alumnus Kevin de León '03 Named Policymaker of the Year
- Pitzer College Tops Fulbright List for 4th Straight Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 21, 2013
- Pitzer Secular Studies Professor Goes to Church to Debate Role of Religion
- Pitzer Professor Discusses Liberal Arts Colleges in a National Context
- Happy 111th B-Day Grove House
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 14, 2013
- Pitzer College Named a 2014 Best Value College by Kiplinger
- Pitzer Alumna Wins Best Documentary Award at International Film Festival
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of October 7, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumnus Honored for Leadership in Conservation
- Amazonian Art Exhibit Opens at Pitzer College
- Pitzer Professor to Speak on New Approach to Understanding Public Opinion
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College's New LEED-Certified Residence Halls Win Design Award
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College to Present Inaugural Core Values Award
- Pitzer Professor Helps Create Paths to College for Minority and Low-Income Students
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 16, 2013
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 9, 2013
- Pitzer College Rises Eight Spots to #35 in 2014 U.S.News and World Report College Rankings
- Pitzer College Professor Launches First Global Distributed Open Collaborative Course
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of August 26, 2013
- Pitzer Ranks #1 in Greenest Campus, Healthiest Dining Hall and Most Flexible Curriculums
- Pitzer College Wins Excellence Award from University and College Designers Association
- Lots in Translation: Professor Phil Zuckerman’s books hit international bookshelves
- Pitzer Professor and Students Study Paleontological Treasures in China
- Movie Based on Best-Selling Book by Pitzer Alumnus Max Brooks ’94 Hits Box Office Highs
- Pitzer College Wins a 2013 APEX Award of Excellence
- Pitzer College Students to Present Scientific Research at National Conference
- Pitzer College Professor Explores African Intellectual History in New Book
- Pitzer College Professor of Chemistry Awarded National Research and Teaching Honor
- In Fragments, Pitzer Art Professor Reveals the Whole Picture
- Sagehens Women's Track and Field Scores Nation's Highest GPA
- Pitzer College Professor Offers a New Perspective on America's Favorite Pastime
- Sagehens Women's Water Polo Team Scores All-American Honors
- Pitzer College Professor Receives Cambridge Fellowship to Examine Debates in the Quran
- Pitzer College Recent Graduates Set New Record with 24 Fulbright Fellowships