Pitzer College Appoints Dean of Faculty
Professor Alan Jones will serve three-year term
Claremont, Calif. (May 29, 2003) — Pitzer College Dean of Faculty Alan Jones has been appointed to a full three-year term of office beginning July 1, 2003. Jones, a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Pitzer for 17 years, has served as interim dean for the last two years.
Pitzer's Faculty Executive Committee, in collaboration with President Laura Skandera Trombley, conducted a review of the dean based on numerous letters of evaluation from staff, faculty and deans of the other Claremont Colleges. The vast majority of these respondents saw Jones as an effective, if not excellent leader, according to the president and the committee, and were in favor of a reappointment of Jones to a full three-year term.
"I am very pleased to have the opportunity to continue in my role as dean of faculty at Pitzer," Jones said. "Pitzer faculty members are national leaders in developing community-based pedagogy, integrating international/intercultural education into the curriculum and preparing students for a life of critical and responsible inquiry."
Jones earned his bachelor's of science degree in neuroscience at University of Massachusetts, Amherst, in 1976. He earned his master's degree in psychology and neuroscience at Princeton in 1978 and his PhD in neuroscience at University of Massachusetts, Amherst in 1983.
Jones is a member of the Board of Directors for Homeless Outreach Programs and Education in Ontario. He served as director of the Pitzer in Ontario program from 1996 to 1999 and was a member of the City of Ontario Downtown Revitalization Committee from 1996 to 1998.
His publications include articles in journals such as Physiology and Behavior, Science, Journal of Nutrition, Brain Research Bulletin, Developmental Brain Research and the Encyclopedia of Science, Technology and Society.
"Alan Jones' appointment as dean of the faculty of Pitzer College is the culmination of a superb career as a teacher and researcher," President Trombley said. "Pitzer is most fortunate to have Dean Jones providing leadership and vision as the College celebrates its 40th anniversary. I look forward to working with Alan in the coming years and am confident in his abilities as an administrator. On behalf of the Faculty Executive Committee, I congratulate him on his position as dean of the faculty," Trombley said.
"After reading the extensive and overwhelmingly positive feedback provided by the Pitzer College faculty on our acting dean of faculty, Alan Jones, the executive committee of the faculty, in consultation with the president of the college, agreed that Dean Jones has done a wonderful job in the Dean's office, and should be offered the position of Dean of Faculty on a regular basis," said David Moore, chair of the executive committee of the faculty.
About Pitzer College
Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.
Press Releases, 2013–14 Academic Year
- Kunda Dixit, Founder of the Nepali Times, Speaks at Pitzer College
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 25, 2013
- Pitzer College Dean of Faculty and Professor Emeritus Named 2014 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 18, 2013
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 11, 2013
- Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
- Pitzer Professors and Fulbright Chair Hold Poetry and Tattoo Workshop
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 4, 2013
- From a Museum of Peace, Images of Nepal's Civil War
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 28, 2013
- State Senator and Pitzer Alumnus Kevin de León '03 Named Policymaker of the Year
- Pitzer College Tops Fulbright List for 4th Straight Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 21, 2013
- Pitzer Secular Studies Professor Goes to Church to Debate Role of Religion
- Pitzer Professor Discusses Liberal Arts Colleges in a National Context
- Happy 111th B-Day Grove House
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 14, 2013
- Pitzer College Named a 2014 Best Value College by Kiplinger
- Pitzer Alumna Wins Best Documentary Award at International Film Festival
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of October 7, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumnus Honored for Leadership in Conservation
- Amazonian Art Exhibit Opens at Pitzer College
- Pitzer Professor to Speak on New Approach to Understanding Public Opinion
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College's New LEED-Certified Residence Halls Win Design Award
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College to Present Inaugural Core Values Award
- Pitzer Professor Helps Create Paths to College for Minority and Low-Income Students
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 16, 2013
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 9, 2013
- Pitzer College Rises Eight Spots to #35 in 2014 U.S.News and World Report College Rankings
- Pitzer College Professor Launches First Global Distributed Open Collaborative Course
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of August 26, 2013
- Pitzer Ranks #1 in Greenest Campus, Healthiest Dining Hall and Most Flexible Curriculums
- Pitzer College Wins Excellence Award from University and College Designers Association
- Lots in Translation: Professor Phil Zuckerman’s books hit international bookshelves
- Pitzer Professor and Students Study Paleontological Treasures in China
- Movie Based on Best-Selling Book by Pitzer Alumnus Max Brooks ’94 Hits Box Office Highs
- Pitzer College Wins a 2013 APEX Award of Excellence
- Pitzer College Students to Present Scientific Research at National Conference
- Pitzer College Professor Explores African Intellectual History in New Book
- Pitzer College Professor of Chemistry Awarded National Research and Teaching Honor
- In Fragments, Pitzer Art Professor Reveals the Whole Picture
- Sagehens Women's Track and Field Scores Nation's Highest GPA
- Pitzer College Professor Offers a New Perspective on America's Favorite Pastime
- Sagehens Women's Water Polo Team Scores All-American Honors
- Pitzer College Professor Receives Cambridge Fellowship to Examine Debates in the Quran
- Pitzer College Recent Graduates Set New Record with 24 Fulbright Fellowships