Pitzer College to Celebrate Inauguration of Fifth President
Claremont, Calif. (Jan. 27, 2003) — Pitzer College will mark the inauguration of its fifth president, Laura Skandera Trombley, with a weeklong celebration taking place Feb. 10-16, 2003. The focal point of the week's events will be the installation ceremony, which will take place at 10 a.m. Feb. 15 on the Brant Clock Tower Lawn.
On Monday, Feb. 10 Inauguration Week will be kicked off with a raffle to determine the student winner of "President for a Day." On Wednesday, Feb. 12 Skandera Trombley will swap places with the student from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
On Tuesday, Feb. 11 there will be a Marquis Library Fireside Chat with emeriti faculty at 8 p.m.
On Friday, Feb. 14 an inaugural symposium titled "The Search for Social Justice" will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. in Avery Auditorium. The keynote session will be "Just War Doctrine in the Age of Terror," from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Princeton Professor Richard A. Falk will lead the panel of well-known experts. Other sessions will be "From the Ground Up: Living Justice on Campus," from 10:30 a.m. to noon, and "Issues in Social Justice: Student Projects & Papers from the First-Year Seminars," from 4 to 5:15 p.m.
On Saturday, Feb. 15 the 10 a.m. inaugural installation will feature an original play titled "A Welcome" by novelist Jim Krusoe ("Iceland"). The ceremony will be followed by a commemorative photo and brunch.
On Sunday, Feb. 16 there will be a Community Work Day from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the John R. Rodman Arboretum.
The inaugural celebration also marks the beginning of a yearlong celebration of Pitzer's 40th anniversary. A "Pitzer at 40" campus-wide exhibit will open Wednesday, Feb. 12.
Skandera Trombley, 42, succeeded Pitzer College President Marilyn Chapin Massey in July 2002. She came to Claremont from Coe College, a private liberal arts college in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where she served as the chief academic officer. While there, she instituted the nationally recognized Coe Plan, a distinctive co-curricular graduation requirement that puts emphasis on technology, leadership and academic practica.
Prior to joining Coe, Skandera Trombley held several posts at the State University of New York at Potsdam, including assistant English professor and assistant provost.
Also a noted Mark Twain scholar, Skandera Trombley has published four books, including "Mark Twain in the Company of Women" (1994). She appeared in Ken Burns' 2002 documentary on Twain.
Skandera Trombley holds B.A. and M.A. degrees in English from Pepperdine University and a Ph.D. degree in English from the University of Southern California. She is married to artist Nelson Edmond Trombley. The couple has one child, Nelson Edmond Trombley Jr., 6.
About Pitzer College
Pitzer College is a nationally top-ranked undergraduate liberal arts and sciences institution. A member of The Claremont Colleges, Pitzer offers a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by linking intellectual inquiry with interdisciplinary studies, cultural immersion, social responsibility and community involvement. For more information, please visit www.pitzer.edu.
Press Releases, 2013–14 Academic Year
- Pitzer College Alumna Publishes Book about Women of African Descent in South America
- Kunda Dixit, Founder of the Nepali Times, Speaks at Pitzer College
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 25, 2013
- Pitzer College Dean of Faculty and Professor Emeritus Named 2014 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 18, 2013
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 11, 2013
- Pitzer College Hosts Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board's First Visit to Southern California
- Pitzer Professors and Fulbright Chair Hold Poetry and Tattoo Workshop
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of November 4, 2013
- From a Museum of Peace, Images of Nepal's Civil War
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 28, 2013
- State Senator and Pitzer Alumnus Kevin de León '03 Named Policymaker of the Year
- Pitzer College Tops Fulbright List for 4th Straight Year
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 21, 2013
- Pitzer Secular Studies Professor Goes to Church to Debate Role of Religion
- Pitzer Professor Discusses Liberal Arts Colleges in a National Context
- Happy 111th B-Day Grove House
- Sagehen Roundup for the Week of October 14, 2013
- Pitzer College Named a 2014 Best Value College by Kiplinger
- Pitzer Alumna Wins Best Documentary Award at International Film Festival
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of October 7, 2013
- Pitzer College Alumnus Honored for Leadership in Conservation
- Amazonian Art Exhibit Opens at Pitzer College
- Pitzer Professor to Speak on New Approach to Understanding Public Opinion
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College's New LEED-Certified Residence Halls Win Design Award
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 30, 2013
- Pitzer College to Present Inaugural Core Values Award
- Pitzer Professor Helps Create Paths to College for Minority and Low-Income Students
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 16, 2013
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of September 9, 2013
- Pitzer College Rises Eight Spots to #35 in 2014 U.S.News and World Report College Rankings
- Pitzer College Professor Launches First Global Distributed Open Collaborative Course
- Sagehen Round Up for the Week of August 26, 2013
- Pitzer Ranks #1 in Greenest Campus, Healthiest Dining Hall and Most Flexible Curriculums
- Pitzer College Wins Excellence Award from University and College Designers Association
- Lots in Translation: Professor Phil Zuckerman’s books hit international bookshelves
- Pitzer Professor and Students Study Paleontological Treasures in China
- Movie Based on Best-Selling Book by Pitzer Alumnus Max Brooks ’94 Hits Box Office Highs
- Pitzer College Wins a 2013 APEX Award of Excellence
- Pitzer College Students to Present Scientific Research at National Conference
- Pitzer College Professor Explores African Intellectual History in New Book
- Pitzer College Professor of Chemistry Awarded National Research and Teaching Honor
- In Fragments, Pitzer Art Professor Reveals the Whole Picture
- Sagehens Women's Track and Field Scores Nation's Highest GPA
- Pitzer College Professor Offers a New Perspective on America's Favorite Pastime
- Sagehens Women's Water Polo Team Scores All-American Honors
- Pitzer College Professor Receives Cambridge Fellowship to Examine Debates in the Quran
- Pitzer College Recent Graduates Set New Record with 24 Fulbright Fellowships