In 2008, the Community Engagement Center proudly launched Changemakers, a new project to promote Pitzer's social responsibility ethos through scholarship, action and advocacy. Programs focus on linking local and global social and cultural issues in relation to students, faculty, staff, and community-based organizations. Changemakers is specifically designed to integrate community engagement programming within the first-year student experience and to promote social responsibility as a fundamental aspect of our new residential learning communities on campus.
The Changemakers program is overseen by an advisory committee of students, staff and faculty which meets monthly to review proposals for new programming, select speakers and evaluate program progress. This committee is currently accepting proposals for new programming that enriches social responsibility on campus and off.
The primary objectives of this grant are:
- Emphasizing Pitzer’s social responsibility ethos to students, with a particular emphasis on the first-year experience
- Promoting student-faculty and/or staff collaboration in community engagement activities
- Enhancing opportunities to address relationships between local conditions and global issues
- Supporting the development and needs of our local communities and community-based organizations.
- Helping to create the students’ new residential complex as a Social Responsibility Learning Community
This grant funds a variety of community-based and social responsibility-related programming including: new or revised Community Engaged Courses (CECs), Community Partnership Liaisonships (CPLs), a monthly public speaker and workshop series, and student/ staff/ faculty Changemakers initiatives (any project, program, event or community-based research which aligns with and furthers the primary Changemakers objectives). Click below for more information:
- Public Speaker and Workshop Series
- Changemakers Community Engaged Courses Grants
- Changemakers Community Partnership Liaisons Grants
- Students/Staff/Faculty Changemakers Initiatives
- Forms and Program Evaluation
New and Upcoming at Changemakers:
Join us for our 2009-2010 Public Speaker Series themed “Learning to Live Responsibly in an Irresponsible Time”. These lectures and workshops will bring diversity of academics and activists to focus on different definitions, both theoretical and practical, of social responsibility across diverse perspectives and disciplines and on interpersonal, community, local and global levels.