Standard Emergency Definitions
A Lockdown is an emergency protocol to prevent people or information escaping, which usually can only be ordered by someone in command. They are also used to protect people inside a facility from a dangerous external event.
The term "lockdown" can be defined as an emergency course of action taken by an agent of authority to contain a problem or incident within the area of its origin by controlling the movement of people.
A Partial Lockdown means that the doors leading outside of the building are locked and people may not exit or enter the building. During a partial lockdown, teaching and normal work processes can continue until the "All Clear" is given.
A Full Lockdown means that people must stay where they are and may not exit or enter a classroom, apartment unit, store unit, and office space, condo unit, office space or store unit. Close and lock the doors, barricading if possible. Turn off the lights and close the blinds/shades. Doors leading outside of the building are locked and secured. Seek protective cover (behind concrete walls, filing cabinets, etc.) away from windows and doors. Keep quiet and act as if no one is in the room. Wait for Public Safety or local police to assist you out of the building. Ignore fire alarms unless instructed to leave the building by the police, fire department or school administration. (Pulling a false fire alarm has been used in some cases to lure personnel into the open for attacks.)
Full Lockdown Procedures
- Tip #1 - All students, faculty and staff who are inside the building or are in transition between rooms should go to the closest room, close the door and lock it if possible.
- Tip #2 - Close windows, blinds, and turn off lights.
- Tip #3 - Lie down on the floor away from the windows.
- Tip #4 - Remain silent.
- Tip #5 - Maintain a calm environment.
- Tip #6 - Remain in lockdown condition until it is safe to leave.
- Tip #7 - Cooperate with rescuers.
Campus Emergency Phone Numbers
- Emergency Message Hotline: 1.800.448.0082
- Campus Safety: 909.607.2000
- Student Information: 909.621.8241
- Staff/Faculty Information: 909.621.8254
- Public Relations: 909.621.8219
Claremont Colleges On-Campus Emergency Webs